Search

Black Flies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Carolann

Black Flies

My husband and I are going to Maine this June (the first week) and I keep hearing or reading that the black flies are horrible that time of the year. Any recommondations for what I can put on to keep these things away.
Changing vacation time is not an option, he is a state trooper and that is one of his weeks and he has to take it then.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 07:32 AM
a--z

+
Cutter's Bug Repellant. Wear light colored clothes. Long sleeves (light weight fabrics).

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 07:34 AM
liza

It depends on where in Maine you will be (woods vs. ocean) and when in June. It's been my experience that by June the blackflies have migrated south to Mass. and RI. They're usually at their worst in mid-May.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Eleln

As other have pointed out, it depends on when and where. Also, they vary a lot from one year to the next, and from one town to the next. Early June can indeed be bad. Here's a link to a general discussion, which contains a link to some very confusing maps, which all boils down to: Bring Cutter's.

http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/blackflyinfo.html

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:15 AM
dougd

In northern New England, Blackflies are out in full force from mid May to late June. They are most prevalent in wooded areas, especially near fast running streams.They are not found in beach type environments. Heavy duty bug repelants such as Cutters and Muskol do help. Windy weather can really help keep them away. Many outdoorsmen will wear a bug net head covering this time of year.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:48 AM
sandra

Carolann,
As everyone says - it all depends on a number of factors as to when the black flies are in force. I've run into them in May and June. But if you are in the woods with them - long sleeves and a hat of some kind seem to help. They tend to hover around the face/eyes and if you have a hat with a bill such as a baseball cap you can pull it down. It helps a little but lots of Cutters is the answer. I do have one of those nets that I use if hiking or doing work in the woods/garden when they are out. You can get them at outdoor stores but you won't need them unless you plan on hiking and then you may not need it at all.

Enjoy your vacation.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Carolann

Thanks for your help. We are coming up June 3rd for 5 days. I will make sure to pack the long sleeves and plenty of cutter. Is there another website that I can go to to check the status of let's say in Mid May to see how the Black Fly status is?