Bit of a common question I know but...

Jan 14th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Andrew

Bit of a common question I know but...

...we're from the UK and thinking of coming to Phoenix/Scottsdale at the end of March. Never been to that part of the world and have two simple questions, will the weather be good enough to swim/sunbathe and what would the best hotel be in terms of location/facilities and downright luxury! Money is not a problem. Many thanks.

Jan 14th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Jane

I think end of March will be fine for swimming and sunbathing. I was there in early April last year and the weather was great.

As for the best hotel, I love the Phoenician. It is located in the heart of Scottsdale along Camelback Mountain. The facilities are beautiful: swimming pool, beauty spa, excersise rooms, tennis courts, etc. They have a 27 hole golf course and a beautiful cactus garden. Staff are friendly and service is excellent. There are lots of great resorts in the Scottsdale area so I'm sure others will have equally wonderful suggestions.

If you have extra time, I would highly recommend a day trip to Sedona (about 1.5 hour drive). Lots of threads about this so just do a search.

Have a great time!

Jan 14th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Jamie

The top resorts are the Phoenician and the Boulders (north of Scottsdale). They're very different as P is in the city itself and is more lavish, whereas B is out in the rocks/desert and is more 'southwestern luxury' (more casual luxury). Prices are about the same.
P's pools are much better. Scenery around B is more unique and interesting. Dining/shopping options are better around P. B is more for getting away from civilization.
I can't highly recommend the Four Seasons. Nice accommodations but lacks anything really special or unique.

Average high temp in late March is 26C, low is 10C.

Sedona is definitely worth a trip. Beautiful, relaxing drive and spectacular scenery (very unique) if you go all the way into the heart of the area.

Jan 14th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Jeanette

The weather will be wonderful, and yes you can swim and sunbathe (do wear sunscreen on your British white skin!)

The Boulders is lovely, but completely inconvenient for anyone who wants to see the area.

consider the Phoenician (if you like modern & oppulent), the Arizona Biltmore (if you like quiet luxury and Frank Lloyd Wright), The Hyatt Regency is a personal favorite. (Coincidentally, my English cousins stayed there last year and loved it.)

Certainly you visit the Biltmore as it is a local landmark. Agree with suggestion to go to Sedona. If you are here for one week or more, consider adding a couple of days to your Sedona trip and seeing \the Grand Canyon.

Another suggestion that many books don't include: Saguaro Lake. Amazing to see cactus growing right next to a 7 mile long lake (admitedly made by a dam, but still -- this is the desert!). You can rent boats by the hour, and the restaurant is casual and surprisingly good.

Jan 15th, 2002, 07:29 AM
xxx

Another vote for the Phoenician - it's where all the movie stars stay when they come here.

Jan 15th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Laura

Andrew,

I visited Phoenix last year. Being from a very similiar part of the world as yourself (Ireland) it's like another world over there. It's so different from here. I'm sure you'll love it.

I don't know about hotels as I stayed with friends. Try and get to Sedona. It really is amazing. You can easily see the Grand Canyon with an overnight stay in Flagstaff - that's what we did and it was a lovely sidetrip.

Enjoy!

Laura

Search this Thread