Reload this Page >

Birthday dinner for hip sister in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 08:15 AM
Gina

Can anyone help me find a great place to take my little sister to dinner in San Francisco?

She's turning 26 - she's very hip and cutting-edge, loves wine and sophisticated food (but not seafood). I'd like to take her someplace nice, but anything too expensive would make her uncomfortable. (No Aqua!) Entrees under $20 would be best.

Her local favorite is Ios and the attached wine bar; I know she also liked the Slanted Door and the CIA in Napa.

Any other suggestions?

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 09:34 AM
steve

I just had a nice dinner at Delfina in the Mission district. The crowd mostly appeared young and hip and the prices were not outrageous. Another very hip place is Mecca.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 06:36 AM
Susan

Gina,
I lived in San Francisco for 5 1/2 years and was part of a dinner group that gathered once a month to example some of
the Bay Areas great restaurants! Some favorites:
Slanted Door (which you mentioned)
Straits
Mecca
Bix
Eastside West (voted best new restaurant in the Guardian)
Zinzino
Betelnut
Cafe Kati
Bistro Aix
MoMos
Indigo
Buckeye Roadhouse (in Marin)

Some of these may be more than you want to spend but what we did in our group was to order some apps, entrees, and wine and share EVERYTHING!

Good luck!

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 06:41 AM
Diane

After two nights of schmoozing clients at high-end places, a couple of my co-workers and I asked the staff of the W-Hotel for a good change-of-pace place with reasonable prices and a comfortable ambiance. They sent us to Umbria -- and it turned out to be just right. It is about 2 blocks from the W (SOMA) with mostly young customers (but a good mix), a welcoming, friendly staff, and most importantly, very good food. It's not a knock-your-socks-off place, but it was perfect for conversation and made you feel more like a local than a tourist.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 08:00 AM
Hans

If it is a small group, i do not think the food and wine at Cafe Kati can be beat. The restaurant has two small rooms (I like the front better) and the food is devine. We especially love their flank steak in a red wine reduction sauce and their lamb--even though she is not a seafood fan, you might enjoy the miso glazed chilean seabass. The appetizers are also phenominal--the ceasar salad is a work of art and the vietnamese dragon rolls are awesome. The deserts are also fantastic--the creme brulee is out of this world! Their wine list is full of some eclectic choices that are not too expensive--our favorite is the Rafanelli Zinfandel--it is a prefect wine to accompany the flank steak. Cafe Kati is our favorite in the city and is well worth a visit!

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Triple O

Try Ondine in Sausalito.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 12:37 PM
JB

Hi Gina,

I second the bid for Delfina, which has really excellent food and a young crowd. I also really like 42 Degrees, although it's a little more expensive - it's in Potrero, and they have a great bar and delicious food. I think they have music on the weekends.

Enjoy!

JB