Search

biltmore - a must

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
biltmore - a must

Well, I seldom post anything on the US board, but just had to comment on the Biltmore. We went for a long weekend the first weekend in Dec because I wanted to be there during the Christmas season. We stayed at the Inn and everything about the trip exceeded my expectations. The Inn was great and the staff were soooo nice. Staying at the Inn with the Christmas package we were able to enter the home as much as we wanted to. A shuttle is provided so you don't have to use your car unless you want to. The shuttle takes you all over the property. There is a lot to do. I am wanting to go again. This is a destination in itself. This was not an inexpensive trip, but I feel like it was a good value considering the service and convenience of staying at the Inn. If any of you have not been, you should consider going. The food was very good altho some maybe not exceptional. The "dining" experience in itself was though. Lunch in the library at the inn was great. The breakfast buffet which was included in our package was exceptional. The home itself was fabulous and altho not as old as the French chateaus, just as good to me personally especially considering the architect, landscape and modern inovations for the time. You should go!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

One more thing - if you stay at the Inn you do not have to have a timed entrance - just go past the line and go in (except for the candle light tour which was included in our pkg as well). The behind the scenes tours are good.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 06:31 AM

If you are speaking of Biltmore Mansion in Ashville, NC, I have been several times and agree with everything.

We liked it so much that my husband and I have considered the area to be a retirement destination.

Unfortuantely, so have a ton of other baby-boomers and now the area is pretty darn pricey.

When I first visited in the late 80's it was a very rural, quiet area.

Now I don't think I could afford to live there!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the info - I contemplated visiting here and staying at the inn.

That area is very popular for retirees and retirement communities.

The Christmas tour sounds very enchanting!!!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Go to biltmore.com for info.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We went to the Biltmore a few years ago and it was a highlight of our trip. I thought it was very well marketed with lots to do. It was very crowded when we were there and we inched along behind everyone on the tour through the house, it would have been nicer to go at our own pace but it was too crowded. Still really enjoyed it though.
Kay
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I always think of the hotel in Los Angeles for some reason, when I see "Biltmore".
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 12:54 PM
dmlove

And then there's the Arizona Biltmore, another classic.