Big Sur, where to stop, what to see

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

We are driving to Big Sur from the San Francisco Bay area tomorrow, spending two nights in Cambria. Any tips on what to see and do along the coast south of Carmel? Thanks for all quick replies.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's one of the most favorite topics on California in the summer. You'll find plenty written here in the past.

Just a short list:

Point Lobos

Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park

Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park for the waterfall

Check to make sure that the park is still open. There have been much talk and legislative activity about closing some of the state parks.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/parkindex/re...asp?id=6&tab=1

Just before Cambria at the San Simeon beach, just park off highway (no specific designation) to see the elephant seals:

http://www.elephantseal.org/

Here's the Big Sur Chamber of Commerce website where you can find more information (there used to be a good map there too):
http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM

Here's a trip report of a day trip we took from the Peninsula (just south of San Francisco airport) as far as Nepenthe/Big Sur last year:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...t-part-way.cfm
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:26 PM

Gallery 21 in Carmel for their Eyvind Earle prints. Google his name, lots of exc. Big Sur inspired paintings.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:32 PM

for the end-of-the-day great sushi, look into Treebones Resort just north of Cambria - check out the Henry Miller Library for events
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 03:53 PM

Stop in Nepenthe for a coffee and the view. If the weather is bad, stop in the Big Sur Inn for a cozier break.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7624512998387/
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Great ideas, thanks everyone!
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Reporting back to say we had a great time in the area. Really enjoyed Nepenthe. I expected a great view but was pleasantly surprised by the food. Great views at the Julia Feiffer Burns State Park.

There were lots of elephant seals at the beaches near San Simeon, and we took a tour of the Piedras Blancas light station that included a talk about the seals.

Ate at two really nice restaurants in Cambria: Sea Chest and Sow's Ear.

When I get back home to Massachusetts next week I hope to write a trip report with more detail.

Thanks to everyone for the quick and good ideas.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 11:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Years ago I went to Big Sur with friends and stayed at the Ventana Inn and lunched at Nepanthe. I'll look for your report now.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I LOVE Nepenthe and I've always been pleased with the food too.
They are a FB "friend" and every day I'm greeted with a glimpse of that view. Gorgeous!

Glad you had a great trip
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 05:53 PM

Hi Nikki - Did you ever write the trip report you alluded to above? I clicked on your name but didn't find it. Seems like after 'following' you around Europe for several years now I might be following you around the Calif.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, Isabel, I did too much traveling last winter and left for Paris just a week after returning from California. Never did write the trip report.

You'll get some great pictures!
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 03:24 AM

The Highlands Inn (Hyatt). Has an awesome view from the bar/restaurant. Parking is free. The restaurant is pricy (Pacifica coupon available through restaurant.com) but the lounge food is not much more than you would pay at a city grill. (I had sliders $15.) Of course you will want to stay for the view and you will end up ordering dessert.

They serve lunch and breakfast from another room but it still is a great view. (Also on restaurant.com as Calfornia something).

If you haven't seen otters in Cambria and want to get a peep before you get to San Francisco, stop at Moss Point marina. Park at the marina across from the power station. Parking is a buck or so. Walk around the boats and look in around. You are likely to find seals and sea lions sunning themselves. Otters preefer water. If you don't see any from the docks continue north over the slough (creek) and park on your left. Last week there were dozens by the bank near the parking area.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 04:53 AM

Another vote for a meal at Nepenthe. We were there at sunset after a rainstorm. We sat outside overlooking the water and enjoyed wine and a cheese platter. The entire restaurant - servers and patrons emptied out onto the deck to ooh and aah over a double rainbow and golden glow over the cliffs. One of the most sublime moments of our travels.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 07:34 AM

We had a late lunch at Nepenthe this past Sunday. It was a spectacular day and the views were breathtaking as always. The food was better than expected too! ( very good burgers and good fries, didn't love the cole slaw).