Reload this Page >

Big Sur to Napa- how long?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 01:58 PM
s allen

How long will it take to drive from Big Sur to Napa, following route 1 up to San Francisco? Any thoughts on inexpensive places to stay in Napa, Sonoma, or Calistoga?

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 05:19 PM
jackie

Big sur to carmel is about 28 miles. Usually it takes under 45 minutes but since the road is under repair due to last year's wash out it took us more than twice that time last week as traffic only moves in one direction in certain sections.Once you get to carmel its about l25 miles and takes about 2plus hours-given summer traffic I wouldn't drive route one all the way.Why not pick up 101 after carmel and save your energy for SF.

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 05:22 PM
jackie

I inteded to say it was aprrox. 125 miles carmel to SF (approx 2 hrs) then another hour plus to Napa(depending on traffic).

Old Jul 18th, 1998, 06:53 PM
Bobby Snowden

AS Jackie said watch out for major delays just went through there and 101 is bett.Major delays as they are also fixing many bridges. add on at least 1 hr to your travels depending on what time.

Old Jul 18th, 1998, 07:09 PM
kam

If you are really on holiday and want to relax, drive rt. 1 from Big Sur straight up the coast through Santa Cruz (stop and see the 60s town of the surfer boys!) and stay the night in Half Moon Bay at one of the lovely B&Bs there. Then, the next day head east on 92 to 280 and up through SF (280 to SF and then follow the signs to Golden Gate Bridge which takes you up19th street, over bridge and then follow signs to Napa to , I think it's 121 and then 29) to Napa which should take less than 2 hours if you don't meet traffic (wait until the morning rush is over and then set out from HMB) I t takes another day, but you will enjoy the drive, a beautiful ride over the Golden Gate in non rush hour traffic, and the relaxation along the way. You could also stop off in Sausalito after the GG Bridge just to see it for a few minutes or so, or in Muir Woods if you'd lilke to see the redwoods. To do Big Sur to Napa in one day is like going from Paris to Rome in one day---you don't get to relax at all. Hope this helps.