Big Sur - Secret Spots?

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 01:36 PM
Rebecca Brown

Big Sur - Secret Spots?

My husband and I are spending 5 days at the Post Ranch in Big Sur, CA next week. Are current plan is to relax, soak up the beatiful surroundings and enjoy some wonderful dinners at some of our favorite restaurants in the area. We would also like to take some afternoon picnic hikes ... any ideas on some romantic out of the ways spots. Also, any place to rent bikes or snorkel?

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 12:53 AM
Grif

5 nights at the Post Ranch huh. Well you can afford then to get the advise of a travel agent about this as that is setting you back like 2500 or more for the hotel. Snorkel.....water is COLD.
Bike....hardly safe at all on Highway 1 and very strenuous too.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 04:32 AM
David

I don't have any secret spots to share, but there are many wonderful spots in Big Sur. You could spend days hiking thru the Ventana Wilderness, or the Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park. These, and other, areas, are so big that it's easy to find a secluded place (but it may require walking a good distance.) If you're expert bike riders "go for it", but the road is pretty . . . rugged. There is the "old" Hwy 1 which runs through the hills above the new Hwy 1. It is less car-travelled, but I think it's even MORE rugged. Check out Nepenthe. There's a great restaurant there with a spectacular view overlooking the ocean.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 06:05 AM
Steve

There are many great hiking areas nearby which I'm sure the resort will fill you in on. I would recommend a amssage at the Esalon (sp?) Institute, about half hours drive south on Highway 1. You need to make the reservatiion days in advance. Do it the day you arrive at Post Ranch. You can use the Institute's hot springs before the massage. Most people using them are naked, so decide whether you feel comfortable being that way. The baths and massage area overlook the ocean. The masseurs are the best. They are world famous. Although it's technically not allowed, you can easily stroll the beautiful grounds and gardens before the massage. They are beautiful.

The only other way to get into the Institute if you haven't registered for their multi day classes is to go after 1 am on certain days when the baths are open to the public. The massage method is the better way.

Don't forget dinner at Ventana one night. Enjoy!

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 07:52 AM
lisa

Well, it's not a "secret," but Pt. Lobos State Park at the northern end of the Big Sur coast has some gorgeous scenery, lots of wildlife, and nice hiking trails. Ansel Adams took lots of photos here. I recommend it.
Also, I second the nomination for dinner at Ventana. Walk the lighted trail through the redwood forest at night after dinner. It's magical.
I do think snorkeling is out -- the water is really cold.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 03:11 PM
D.B.

Secret spots? We could tell you, but then we would have to kill you.

It's summer, you can snorkel, but you will probably want a wetsuit -- depends on what you are used to (some people wear half-suits). I think the summer water runs 10 degrees cooler than at So. Cal. beaches, it depends on how warm it has been. You can always check it out first.

You used to be able to rent small motor-bikes or Mopeds, but I think insurance may have killed that enterprise.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 05:10 PM
kam

Agree with the suggestion of Pt. Lobos St. Pk. You will find your own "secret spot" while walking around there. Nepenthe is good for a meal and, of course, Ventana is super. Snorkeling will be quite chilly and I wouldn't want to try to bike on Hwy 1, but perhaps there are some rentals that you could do on lesser roads. Better recommendation is to do it "on foot".

Old Jul 8th, 2000, 05:42 AM
Michael

Get to Pt Lobos if you can. Also whoever commented that Old Hwy 1 (actually Old Coast Road) was "less traveled and a little more rugged" has a talent for understatement. 10 or so miles of unpaved, extremely twisty, up & downhill driving - easily the highlight of our trip! Met 1 other car the whole way. I'd also suggest Pfeiffer Beach.