Reload this Page >

Big Sur / Highway 1 in Sept

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:07 AM
Eric B.

My girlfriend and i are planning to enjouy the Big Sur/ Highway 1 this sep for a maximum of 5 days, stopping wherever and whenever we feel like it. We've been to the US before but never done this.

1) Some people have warned us that it's a tough drive with the twists and turns and maybe rainy weather. Canm you recommend any van / bus tours ?

2) Any must see's ? visits ? I have the books but want to get insnights from those who've done this.

3) Should we visit the Channel Islands at the same time ?

Cheers

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:05 AM
David

Assuming you're not a nervous driver, you will have no problems driving on Highway One. It is well-paved and wide compared to roads in other countries. It has a lot of curves, and you are on the edge of a hill, but it's really aren't that bad.

My only regret driving is that while I was driving, I couldn't enjoy the scenery as much as my wife did. The solution: we stopped the car, turned around, and backtracked for a half an hour. there's no reason you can't do this a few times if you've got 5 days to cover the territory

Sites I can recommend are: Hearst Castle in San Simeon, Point Lobos park on the southern edge of Carmel itself, the Carmel/Monterey area in general.

You might want to spend a full day around Big Sur...it's unique because of its remoteness. There are also a number of state parks that have good hiking trails and even a few beaches along the way...the best ones should be in the guide books

I don't know anything about the Channel Islands

Enjoy!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:06 AM
x

Sept is usually the best time of year to visit the coast. It doesn't often rain in September. If you are driving north on highway 1 you will be on the inside lane on the mountain side of the road. If however you choose to drive south you will be on the side of the road that is adjacent to the cliffs and the ocean. If you're nervous about driving this road I would not suggest a southbound trip.

The Channel Islands are quite a bit south of this area out of Ventura County. These islands are undeveloped and are under the juristiction of the National Park System. You can take a flight from Camarillo airport aboard Channel Islands Aviation. They stop on Santa Rosa Island. Island Packers is the park's concessionaire for boat travel departing from Ventura and Channel Islands Harbors to all of the islands. A variety of trips, from half-day to multi-day, are offered.

You can also try going out of Santa Barbara. Truth Aquatics is the park's concessionaire for boat travel departing from Santa Barbara Harbor to all of the islands.

The only type of accomodations there is camping.

For more information on the islands youcan use this: http://www.nps.gov/chis/

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:06 AM
David

Also stop at the Nepenthe restaurant for lunch, just south of Big Sur. It's an institution with wonderful views of the coast

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:14 AM
x

FYI: Lunch at Nepenthe ranges from $10-20 per person, not including tip taxes or anything to drink. Dinner entrees $20-30 not including taxes tip or anything to drink.
http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/

Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:25 AM
Molly

Hi Eric,
Big Sur is not all that scary - and I hate heights! We drove it in both directions. There are numerous pull-offs, which allows you to go at a speed at which you feel comfortable.
McWay Falls, in Julia Pfeiffer State Park, is definitely worth a stop. It is a 1/2 walk to a lookout over a beautiful waterfall spilling into the ocean. FYI, there was no charge to get in when my husband and I visited last year.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:39 AM
David

Eric,

Be sure to make reservations for Hearst Castle tours. (www.hearst-castle.org)

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:02 AM
Leslie

Hi Eric - I'm a Southern California native whose been to this area a number of times. In fact, taking the kids in August. You don't say how far a stretch north and south you are planning but with only 5 days, I'd skip the Channel Islands unless you're a big naturalist or scuba diver. There is soooo much to see between Santa Barbara and San Francisco (including these two lovely cities themselves). Recommend you drive it as others have suggested. Just take Highway 1 in one direction (connecting just north of San Luis Obispo) and return south via Highway 101. Hwy 1 is a slow drive - you want to do it once, but not twice on your trip. Stop often to enjoy the view and just pull over if a crazy person starts riding your tail. Also, eat soda crackers so you don't get car sick. Here are some ideas starting just north of Santa Barbara:

Solvang - quaint little Danish town and nearby wineries, worth a 1/2 day.

Cambria - quaint little coastal town with lovely places to stay overnight with ocean views and nature hikes all along the cliffs of Moonstone Beach.

Hearst Castle - definitely stop for one of their several tours - make advance reservations.

Big Sur - lodges or camping as well as expensive places to stay. Yes, the Nepenthe Restaurant is great. If you can't afford their lunches, have a $5 latte and enjoy the view. Also, see the coastline at Julia Pfeiffer State Park.

Point Lobos - nature hikes - see otters and California Sea Lions off the coast.

Carmel - lovely town - big tourist spot. Great restaurants & shops - see the beach.

Monterey - see Cannery Row, Aquarium, eat seafood, rent kayaks, etc.

Pacific Grove and the "17 mile drive" - beautiful.

Santa Cruz - beach, boardwalk, seaside amusement park, etc.

Enjoy your trip.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:18 AM
x

I easily skip ever going to Santa Cruz again. The college campus is beautiful, but the downtown area and pier are just way too overrated. I was there a few months ago and just saw young punks skateboarding through traffic.

Solvang - great for a danish and then get out of town. Why waste your time with a tourist trap that is now just a bunch of factory outlets (and not even good ones).

Cambria & Carmel both a few of my favorite places anywhere.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:22 PM
Shannon

I 2nd & 3rd stopping at Nepenthe for lunch. The ambrosia burgers are still worth the very steep $12.50 they now cost (with side salad). September is PERFECT.