Search

big sur from sfo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:52 AM
travlinsoon

big sur from sfo

Could a west coast "local" give me their best directions for the quickest route to Big Sur from San Francisco airport and most scenic route back? Is there best day(s) of the week to make trip?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:49 AM
David

Travilinsoon,

The quickest route to Big Sur would be 280 south to San Jose, 101 south to 156 west and 1 south. The most scenic route back would be to take 1 north to Santa Cruz and 17 north into San Jose, and 280 north to San Francisco. I would advise on leaving San Francisco toward San Jose after 9 AM to avoid the commute traffic heading into the city. Also, be sure to take 17 north after 9 AM as well for the same reason. If you are doing this trip on a weekend, you don't have to worry too much about the traffic.

On the return trip along highway 1, be sure to stop at Phil's in Moss Landing north of Castroville, for some great seafood.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:58 AM
J Correa

I second that thought about Phil's. I have eaten a lot of clam chowder, and Phil's is my favorite.

Regarding traffic - definitely avoid leaving SFO or attempting to get back into the bay area before 9am on a weekday.

Weekend traffic can be an issue as well. Friday night/saturday morning leaving the bay area and Sunday afternoon/evenning returning you will hit traffic. It's not that bad though. If you will be travelling during those times, just realize that you will probably hit some traffic and give yourself some extra time.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:06 AM
kam

I agree with all of the above except I would stop in Pescadero at Duarte's Tavern for the artichoke soup! Assuming there are two of you, the HOV lanes on 85 are a blessing from 5am to 9am. Airport via 380 to 280 south to 85 to 101 south of San Jose to 156 west to 1 south is our standard route. I would try to do it on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Kat

TravelinSoon -- Where are you staying in Big Sur?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:42 AM
J Correa

Is there anything on Duarte's menu besides Artichoke Soup? I have heard many people rave about Duartes for the soup, but is there any compeling reason to go there if someone doesn't like artichokes?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:00 PM
L

instead of taking 17 back, take 84. It is less dangerous.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Roger

Why do most posts about Pacific Coast Hwy always ignore the Santa Cruz to Pacifica route. It seems that everyone, once you leave Big Sur area and get to Santa Cruz suggest the interstate to San Francisco. Family was recently there, stayed in Pacifica one night, the hikes we took on bluffs overlooking ocean were magnificant! Not only that it was virtually deserted! I've never been to a popular tourist destination like San Francisco and seen such such a pristine area so close and uncrowded. And the drive down Hwy to Santa Cruz was fantastic with little traffic and great views of cliffs and ocean! Maybe the more popular areas such as 17 mile drive and such get more raves but my family totally enjoyed the "less traveled". Just an opinion.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:45 AM
J Correa

I always wonder that as well - why people generally don't mention Santa Cruz when talking about the central coast. Santa Cruz is a great town. I actually prefer it to Carmel.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Betsy

Actually, if you plan carefully you could stop at Duarte's AND Phils! Both are wonderful.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:58 AM
x

Santa Cruz better than Carmel??? Only if you are an aging hippie who likes a rundown roller coaster and a skateboard park. Carmel is a classy little town.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:13 AM
David

Although Santa Cruz is nice, I think that Carmel has a lot more character.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:50 AM
J Correa

To each his own - regarding the Carmel vs. Santa Cruz issue. They are totally different places and appeal to different types of people. Both places have a lot of character.

Carmel appeals more to those who enjoy art galeries, luxury hotels, and things of that nature.

Santa Cruz and Capitola appeal to people who want to hang out on the beach, go to the Boardwalk, watch the surfers, and so on. Santa Cruz is a beach town.