Search

Bay area fog

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:30 AM
David

Bay area fog

I will be driving from San Jose to Monterey on Aug 18 leaving about 8am. After reading earlier post, I'm still trying to decide between US101 and 17/1. My priority is getting to Monterey asap rather than enjoying the scenery. I'm from Hawaii and not too familiar with driving in fog. Whats the chance of fog causing traffic to crawl using 17/1, compared to 101 being farther inland. Is fog a problem in August? Thanks, Aloha

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:27 AM
XXX

David,

If you are leaving San Jose at 8am, fog won't be your problem. TRAFFIC will. This is pretty much a no-win situation at that time of the morning.

Since you are interested in the fastest route, take 101 down to the Monterey turn off. Be advised, in addition to the regular traffic, they are widening 101 south of San Jose. Expect delays.

No one can predict fog that far in advance.

Dick

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:49 AM
David

David,

If getting to Monterey form San Jose in the least amount of time is your main aim, I would take 101 south to 156 west to 1 south. Since August 18th is a Sunday morning, I do not anticipate that traffic will be much of a problem. There will be a slowdown on the 101 south of the city in Morgan since the freeway narrows down to 2 lanes in that area. Fog should not really be a problem.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:50 AM
David

David,

I should have said the slowdown will occur in Morgan Hill, NOT Morgan.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:28 AM
Monica

On a Sunday morning from San Jose leaving at 8am you really won't hit the Morgan Hill slowdown. At that time, I can usually get to the Aquarium (one of my daughter's favorite places) in an hour and fifteen minutes. As far as fog, it's usually the "low hanging cloud" variety--makes everything look gloomy and you can't see the ocean from the road, but it's not dense enough to be a traffic hazard (for the most part).

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:23 AM
E.

Agree on the fog issue--summer is generally foggy in Monterey, but the densest stuff usually rolls in at night/wee hours of morning. Don't forgo US 1 out of fear of fog...

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:33 AM
kam

It's 11:30 am in Palo Alto and the fog is just beginning to lift. But, it doesn't make driving difficult, it was just ruin your view of the ocean. 17 is a route I try to avoid---it can be shut down with accidents such as trucks jack knifing. But, a lot (and I mean a lot) of people take it. On a Sunday I would take 101 to 156 west---the construction shouldn't affect you and the total driving time should be 1-1 1/2 hours.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:50 AM
J Correa

Fog should not be an issue. Once in awhile the fog comes in really thick at ground level, but very rarely. Usually the fog does not cause traffic jams.

If your goal is to get to Monterey as quickly as possible, I suggest 101 south to 156 west. As you will be travelling toward the coast on a Sunday in the summer time, you will hit traffic anyway you go - esspecially if it's a nice day.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:04 AM
David

Thanks for all your comments. Sorry, made an error, will be driving to Monterey monday am.
Aloha, David

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:35 PM
J Correa

Leaving Monday morning will make a big difference in traffic. The morning commute goes north into San Jose, so going south should be smooth sailing once you get out of San Jose.

Hwy 101 to 156 is still probably your best bet. There is construction on 101 between San Jose and Morgan Hill, but it shouldn't slow you up too much.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 01:04 PM
David

I agree with J Correa's assessment of the traffic heading north into the city on 101 however, the construction will still slow you down. My advice would be to still take the 101 to 156 to 1 route but leave before 8 AM if possible. Usually the roadway construction does not begin until about 7 or 7:30, from my past experience. So if you left by 6:30 or 6:45 you could avoid any possible slowdown.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 02:22 PM
Deborah

I was in Palo Alto for 8 hours today and saw no fog at all. A low ceiling deck of clouds produced some drizzle at times and made for a comfortably cool, if somewhat dreary, morning. I suppose if you were out in the hills at a slightly higher altitude then that low ceiling would have been fog.