Big Island Suggestions

Search

Big Island Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island Suggestions

My wife and 7 month old are going to the big island with another couple and their infant.

We are staying at Waikoloa Colony Villas.

What are we supposed to do for a week? Don't need the whole week planned out, but can anyone offer some suggested day trips? (how long the drive is would be appreciated as well). We are pretty active, even with the baby (like to sight see and explore and take scenic photographs), and we also enjoy culture and history.

Also, which beaches and restaurants should we try? And where are they (driving distance)?

Also, since we are staying at a condo and have a kitchen, any suggestion on a grocery store we should use?

And lastly, is a day trip to the Volcano do-able? With two babies, we didn't want to move to another hotel on the other side of the island. Is it crazy to try to do a day trip?

Thanks.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:30 PM

"What are we supposed to do for a week?"

Get the book Big Island Revealed for a wealth of ideas.

1. Visit Northern Kohala region (half-day trip): Waimea, Hawi, Pololu Lookout then drive back and relax at the two best beaches on the BI--Mauna Kea and Hapuna--which are a 10-15min drive from Waikoloa resort area.
2. Fair Wind snorkel trip to Kealakekua Bay (just take turns snorkeling and watching baby). Except for the Body Glove boat, which doesn't go to K-bay, the other boats either don't allow babies or are too rough in open waters to take a baby
3. Explore Kona region and visit a coffee plantation then finish up at Place of Refuge. Adjacent "Two Steps" (Honaunau Bay) is a wonderful snorkeling spot.
4. South Point and Punalu'u Black Sand Beach (90 to 120 mins each way)
5. Explore Hamakua Coast and Hilo (Waipi'o Valley lookout, Akaka Falls, Tropical Botanical Gardens, Rainbow Falls). Takes a full day since a non-stop drive from Waikoloa resort area to Hilo alone is about 2 hours each way.
6. Volcano National Park - a LONG day trip since the drive alone is about 2.5 hours each way. Crater Rim Drive with stops along the way (steam vents, Jaggar Museum, Halema'uma'u Crater, Thurston Lava Tube) takes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. And the drive down Chain of Craters Road (20mi) and back to see the steam plumes from the ocean-lava entry takes anywhere from 1 to 2 hours depending on your stops. Make sure you leave early enough to grab a bite nearby (most places at Volcano Village close around 9pm) otherwise your entire party will be starving for quite some time with little dining options.

There are lots of grocery markets (Safeway, KTA) and discount stores (Walmart, K-mart) in and around Kona town. There's also a Costco closer to Kona airport.

FYI, we (1-yr old baby, wife, my parents and I) spent 10 days (3 locations)on the BI in May '05 with a fairly full itinerary each day, putting over 1,600 miles on the rental during that time, and still feel like we only barely scratched the surface of the big, big Big Island.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, that's very helpful... I went and got Big Island Revealed today, it's exactly what I was looking for.

I had another question: Right now, we are planning to stay at the Waikoloa Colony Villas. We like that they are relatively new and modern. However, they are not on the ocean. Would we be better off trading the nicer lodging for a more dated place on the ocean? I know this is a matter of personal preference, but I've never been and have no idea how nice the Waikoloa Colony Villas are, how close they are to the beach, or how nice the ocean front properties are and if its worth it to stay there... any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:50 PM

I agree with the earlier post about places to see there -- it is my favorite island and so much to see and do.

It sounds like you will be quite active while you are there, so I wouldn't spend the extra $$ on an ocean view condo. Everything in the Waikoloa resort is within walking distance and they run a trolley throughout the resort if you get tired. Save your $$ and go have an outdoor massage overlooking the ocean -- heavenly!!!

Be sure to arrange for a sitter one evening and go enjoy some of the restaurants and night spots in the resort, and if you want the real, old world Hawaiian atmosphere (think elegant, yet casual) go for drinks at sunset to the Mauna Kea just up the road.

Even though it is a long day, really consider going to the Volcanos NP - it is spectacular.

Be sure to try out at least one of the secluded beaches mentioned in the "revealed" book -- it is the best guide to the Big Island...

Carol
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:06 PM

With babies you are a bit limited, a lot of the activites would be tough if you have little ones. Volcano NP requires much walking over less that optimum surface, so would be tough to do with little ones. Plus it is a fairly long drive from Kona or points north.

The big Island has limited sand beaches as it is mostly volcanic rock.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:17 PM

My wife and I really enjoyed the Big Island and the Hilton Waikoloa is considered a very good family hotel. We had ocean front and it was outstanding. They have 4 pools with slides and even a beach area where little ones can dip there toes in. If memory serves me correctly it was about 90 miles from our hotel to the Volcano Park if you head North. I wouldn't recommend going South because from Kona to the Southern tip it is very curvy roads and no public washrooms (my wife had to use one badly and to this day I hear about it). The Hilton has alot of nice restaurants and the shopping mall has Roy's in it as well.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

We are booked at the Colony Villas, like the kitchen and oversized condo.

Is a trip to Volcano National Park feasible? Need to get back by 6-7 PM to put the kids in baby in bed. What roads should we take, and where do we go once we get there to be time efficient?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:45 AM

You really do need to make the trip to VNP! A trip to the BI isn't complete without seeing this amazing place. Leave as early as you can, and come back when it's convenient for you. Do your kids sleep in the car on long trips? ;-) Hopefully so...it is a full day's trip.

I don't have a BI map with me, but VNP is very easy to find. It's right off the main highway. Admission is $10 for the carload. The park road is basically a circle. Keep making right turns and you can see it all. Don't bother trying to hike out to the lava flows with your young children. The Devastation Trail and Thurston Lava Tubes are much shorter hikes that will be better for you.