Search

Big Island stays?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island stays?

Help! We are takig our 3rd trip tp HI in July. Maui is a must...our favorite which is why we are returning. We've loved oahu...all sides...nd are thinking of going to the Big Island. Anyone got any ideas of where to stay with 3 kids condo style? Near a near? Vacation rental? Also, I've heard the BI is highly overrated and Kauai is too tranquil (did I mention 3 fun-lovin' teenagers?) Please send any ideas...comments....what and where to go....I need to book by end of next week! Thanks!!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:44 PM

We went to Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island last August...this summer we are going to Oahu and Kauai.

That being said, we LOVED the Big Island! There is SO much to do, and it is such an amazing island. It is unique and diverse...Volcano National Park is spectacular. We stayed on the Kohala Coast in a couple of the resorts, but there are certainly plenty of condos on the Big Island. What is your budget?

If you do a search under my name, you should be able to find my trip report from last summer comparing Maui and the Big Island.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Lived on Oahu for 3 yrs and visited the Big Island numerous times. Certainly not overrated in my book! Where else can you experience a volcano, snow ski and surf all in the same day! Lots to do on the Big Island. Recommend staying on the Kona side and also spending a day at the Volcano Nat'l Park, visiting the summit of Mauna Kea, black sand and green sand beaches, check out http://www.gohawaii.com/bigisland/ for more info.
Have fun!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:43 PM

Our extremely active Kauai vacation: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34508517

My solo trip to the Big Island, which is underrated in my opinion...people tend to dump on it and miss its quiet beauty and hidden gems: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34542623

I mean, if all your teenagers want to do is walk around Lahaina and sun themselves on Waikiki Beach, then maybe you should stick with that. But there is plenty of adventure and simple activities to be had on every island.

love
roxy
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 08:33 AM
MaureenB

We love the Big Island and have taken our two kids there about four times. So much to do there.
Best condo we've found is Sea Village, just a tad south of Kona. It's a relatively small development-- maybe eight three-story buildings surrounding a garden area and pool. Great views up the coast if you specify one. Great location near snorkel beach (Disappearing Sands, I think it's called) and Kona proper. The units are individually owned and managed, so do a Google on Sea Village and see what you can find. Furnishings may vary from one to the other. It's a very well-kept place. Free parking and free tennis courts. Nice little pool overlooking the ocean, and barbecue set-ups to use in the garden. Welcome receptions weekly.
We've rented through Donita's Vacations Unlimited, so try her. Last time we rented was about three years ago. We paid $500 for a two bedroom two bath for a week-- I kid you not. When Donita quoted that price, I thought she meant per night! Anyway, probably a fluke, but it's still well-priced. Whenever we're there, we keep our eyes open for better places and have never seen one that comes close to Sea Village.