Search

Big Island Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 05:27 PM
PseudoPreRegistrationUser

Big Island Hotels

We are interested in the Aston Keauhou Beach Resort. Does anyone have helpful info on this hotel? Also,which is nicer-the Kona coast or the Kohala area? How far from the airport is each location? (Kona Airport) On another island, Maui. Are there any tours that go to Hana? Thanks alot.

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 07:27 PM
Lani

Hi chrjonbec,

The Kohala Coast is home of the ritziest hotels on the Big Island; Kona has more reasonable accommodations. The hotels in Kona are a bit closer to the airport, but not that much, to affect your choice! The most reasonable choice on the Kohala Coast is the Outrigger Waikoloa, which I love, very Hawaiian!

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 03:43 AM
annemarie

The Kohala Coast is definitely nicer...hotels are larger, yes, ritzier. We stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa..their bouce back package has been a good rate in the past...great property.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 12:14 PM
kalenakg

We have always enjoyed the Keauhou Bay for its history and proximity to Kahalu`u Bay, where there's excellent snorkeling. Now that it has been remodeled, we enjoy it even more. The entry has a lovely open feel, the property is located on ten acres, and there's a nice restaurant on the premises. The hotel features numerous sacred Hawaiian sites and several heiau (places of worship.)

The Keauhou Bay, now run by the Aston chain, is moderate yet very pleasant. It is located on Alii Drive, the first area in Kona to develop with a few hotels and condominiums, and has a lively mix of locals and tourists. The larger luxury resort properties north of the airport have been built on old lava fields, and are pretty much self-contained, whereas the Keauhou Beach is definitely Kona.

If you do a word search for the Keauhou you will find some other helpful posts.

By the way, we are fans of north Kohala resorts, such as the Hapuna Prince and the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel for their beautiful beaches...But those are in a different price category altogether.
Aloha,
k

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 02:10 PM
Lori

We've stayed at the Keauhou (twice in fact) and liked it. There is no beach so to speak of there tho, if that is important to you. The lagoon is lovely tho. We thought the location very handy to Kona and not all that far from the airport.

Yes, there are tours that go to Hana. I know I've seen their buses (we always drive down there). Roberts Tours comes to mind as they are a big company, there are probably lots more I just can't think of them (never wanted to take a bus ride!). Most use something like a 12 passenger van so it's probably not too bad.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 01:46 PM
Joy

Thanks to all who replied to my query on Keauhou Resort, also Hana. It all helps alot.