Big Island Hiking (vs. Kauai Hikes)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 5 magical trips to Kauai (as well as trips to Maui & Oahu) we are finally heading to the Big Island for the first time in February 2010. In Kauai we have hiked extensively in all areas of the island, our favorites being off Waimea Canyon Drive (both canyons side & Kalalau coast side) as well as the Kalalau trail to Hanakapai falls.

I have been researching hiking on the Big Island and even have recommendations from a geologist/friend who hikes & gives seminars there a few times every year.

The trails we plan to hike are:

1. Kilauea Iki Trail
2. Napau Crater Trail
3. Green Sand Beach Hike (from South Point)
4. Waipi'o Valley
5. Area around Pu'uhonua o Honaunau including Arch City & 1871 trails

They all seem very interesting and beautiful, but looking at all the photos I can find in books & the Internet, they don't seem *quite* as stunning as the hikes we've done on Kauai (i.e. Nualolo to Lolo Vista, Alikai Swamp, Canyon trail, Kalalau trail)....... If anyone has hiked both islands, can you tell me if this is a fair assessment? I'm sure no matter what, we will enjoy everything we do (we always do), just curious about what to expect........ Also, are there any other "Don't miss" trails that I didn't include with the 5 listed above?
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 02:02 PM

I've hiked both islands and I've backpacked the big island on numerous occassion. Some of my hiking pictures are here :

http://www.panoramio.com/user/1652420

You are correct that Kauai is much more lush because of the higher rainfall. Most of the interesting trails on the BI are not in rainforest. Having said that, there are beautiful and unique places on the Big Island and you will not be disappointed.

Some hikes that I like:

Instead of the Kilauea Iki, I like a modified version of the Byron Ledge. Start at Volcano House, enter the caldera then hike either towards Halemaumau then to Kilauea Iki or from the bottom of the trail at VH hike directly to Kilauea Iki, then take the rim trail back to VH. The caldera is wild! There is no place like it in the States.

I also like a little hike in the VNP called bird park. It is dry upland forest with many birds and some are even indigenous.

Green Sand Beach, is a so-so hike. It's hot, barren and windy. The beach is cool. Yes it's green sand (olivine). So this is a hard call for me.

I would go to the Hawaiian Tropical Botanical Garden. It is a beautiful garden hike and worth the fourteen dollars.

I have hiked from Waipio Lookout to Waimanu Valley. This is a backpack and a great one at that. However you could hike into the Valley and then up the Z trail. There are some interesting views up Waipio. If you have the legs there are miles of interesting trail once you crest the pali. I like Waipio, it's different. It's a tough hike though.

I also recommend the beach hike at Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park. You gain enterance to the beach by the going to the small boat habor south of KOA. This is a beautiful beach hike. You can hike pristine shore for miles and nobody goes there. I've been hiking it for years and I am always amazed.

Kiholo Bay hike is a short hike to a pretty area. Lots of turtles can be found in the old fishpond, both green and hawksbill. If you drive down to the Loretta Lynn house shell there are some longer hikes there.

The 1871 trail is interesting because of sea views and the area in general. Honaunau is a wonderful area for history.

I also suggest wandering the property of the Muana Lani especially the coast. In my opinion the property is the most interesting on the Kohala Coast. Although the resort itself leaves me cold.

On the Muana Lani Resort property there is a petroglyph field that requires a 20 minute hike. I found the field to be very different than the ones at Waikaloa and Kona Village Resort.

Last you could hike from Kekaha Kai State Park to Makalawena beach. This is the most beautiful beach area on the island but the road to Kekaha Kai is almost nonexistent and will probably be forbidden by your rental car agency.

Bill
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your detailed reply ~ I really appreciate it! You mentioned a few places a few that are already on my list of possible things to do (Kiholo Bay, Puako/Malama petroglyph trail, Hawai'i Tropical Botanical Gardens) so it was good to hear them recommended by someone experienced with the Big Island.

I like the idea of hiking the Kilauea Iki trail from the Volcano House via the Byron Ledge trail & heading back via the Crater Rim trail. Thanks for the idea!
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

OH ~ I forgot to mention if you are interested in some of my hiking pix I have them here: http://bit.ly/6O4DhV
There are a few sets of hiking in Kauai as well as many in California.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Excellent Kauai hikes and great pix. I am backpacking to Halape and Keauhou Landing this year before I relax at Kona Village. I am really looking forward to it.

Bill