Best beach close to Charleston on a budget

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm visiting last week of June 2010 and would like to stay on a nice beach close to Charleston. I will be traveling with my son and am on a strict budget. What can you recommend that is clean, close to the beach with comfortable beds. I am typically okay finding clean on a budget, but then the bed kills the back. Not a golfer. I do like a natural beach, not very commercial with high rises.

Thanks so much.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 05:42 PM

It would help if you told us what "on a strict budet" means in terms of actual dollars. Also, how close is "close to the beach" - on the beach, one block, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile?????????????

For starters check places on Sullivan's island.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM

The beaches in summer are not cheap. Are you looking for a house or a hotel?
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 02:33 AM

Beach and budget in summer may be an oxymoron! It may be a hotel somewhere and travel to the public beach for the day. Your budget will help.
You might look at VRBO also.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 02:49 AM

Right. And the greener the more $$$$. One suggestion is Hampton Inn in Mt Pleasant on the IOP connector. It's not at the beach but it's close. The beds at Hampton are always great.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 05:08 AM

I have travelled to Charleston more than a dozen times, and I always leave wishing I had more time. Try VRBO for Sullivan's Island. Nice quiet, unspoiled beach, just over the Charleston Bridge, thru Mt. Pleasant, then on to Sullivan's Island. Not developed or commercial. No hotels that I am aware of. There is a four plex with rentals available on VRBO located adjacent to Ft. Moultrie. Convenient to Charleston, but feels like miles away. (You can see the lights of Charleston harbor, from the inland side of the island. Have fun!
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 06:20 AM

I love Sullivans too, however, someone on a strict budget might have trouble finding a place that's affordable. It can be expensive. There are no hotels there and very few condos.

Again it would help to know the OP's budget. We can be of more help with that info.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Edisto Beach is reasonable but in June that term can be misleading.

A condo on the beach at IOP or Sullivans will run you close to $2000 a week and you will not be able to rent nightly. You must rent Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun strict seven night minimums.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the info so far. My budget for the trip is about $1500. I'm traveling from NJ. I found that I can stay at the Hampton Inn on the Connector at IOP with airfare and rental car in my price range for 6 days/5 ngts. Would love to stay longer, but I realize it's at the height of the season. I believe that puts the hotel at under $120 per night. I don't mind driving to the beach which I understand is $6.00 per day for parking. I am leaning towards booking this unless someone has a suggestion for something closer to the beach or that would allow me to stay longer? I called the Seaside Inn, but did not get a level of comfort on my questions about the beds so I crossed it off the list. Your info is much appreciated and has proved helpful already.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 03:21 PM

The Sea Cabins are right on the beach. Not sure how much they cost but you can call them and ask.They'll only do the 7 day rental in summer.
http://www.seacabins.com/

That being said, that Hampton is nice and breakfast is included. It's not at all far from IOP and the drive is easy. It's also near restaurants and shopping. I know you'll enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 10:33 AM

If you look on vrbo.com, there are condos on Kiawah Island for under $1500/wk. We enjoy staying at the older villas in Sparrow Pond. Everything there is walking distance to the beach, the bike riding is great.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 12:20 PM

You might do well to check in Charleston proper as the last week in June is considered to be not a "high" season in the city....and then drive to the beach as you have already said. Then you would at least have the convenience of being in C'ston....
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 12:40 PM

Based on your original post, I think the Hampton Inn is probably a good idea for you. It will certainly be cleaner and have better beds than any beach rental in your price range that time of year. And Isle of Palms is a great beach and easily accessable as suewoo says.

Not sure why folks recommend Sullivan's island so often here as there are so few rentals available by law. And in this case, looking for budget option in June, it makes no sense whatsoever. Anyone looking for budget beach accomodations in the Charleston area should start with Folley Beach.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 12:51 PM

You might look in Mt. Pleasant for a hotel--there is a Holiday Inn there.ANnd then drive to the beaches.
Have you looked up the coast at Surfside, Garden City, NMyrtle Beach?
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 03:06 PM

@OP--your budget for the entire trip is $1500?? You will be hard pressed to find a vacation rental for $1500. Stick with a hotel even if you have to drive to the beach. Staying in a hotel will give you options regarding arrival/departure (vacation rentals during the summer are by the week only).

For airfare, check fares into other airports. Unfortunately, Charleston is one of the most expensive airports to fly in and out of. I have a couple of websites I always recommend for searching airfare: itasoftware.com (sign in as a guest) and airfarewatchdog.com

Nearby airports are Columbia, SC; Myrtle Beach, SC; Charlotte,NC; even Savannah, GA airfares can be cheaper.

Good luck.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 06:25 PM

Try the Town & Country Inn on Rt. 17 (Savannah Hwy) http://www.thetownandcountryinn.com/

We have stayed there with kids in the past, but only as an overnight on our way to HHI or elsewhere. It is clean, good location for travel to historical sites, without the price of being in the historical area. With a car, you are close to IOP, Sullivan's Island, etc. Not recommending it as a resort, but if cost is the determining factor, this might work.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 05:48 AM

I would go with the Hampton Inn deal that you found. We stay on Sullivan's Island the last week of June every summer and the rentals are limited and the deals are few and we usually book our house in January or February. However, depending on how the economic recovery continues, you might find deals closer to your travel date. We found out this past summer, when some friends wanted to join us unexpectedly, that many realty companies will waive the weeklong minimum at high season, if you're booking within 30 days of the actual travel date. The realty company we have been using was also offering percentages off their regular rates to entice people to rent.

Now, I am not advocating waiting until the beginning of June to book your accommodations, because you might get stuck with nothing. However, if your hotel deal is one you can cancel without penalty, you might consider checking out some of the rentals closer to your travel date and see if anyone is offering any deals. You might get lucky!
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 12:29 PM

That Hampton on the connector is very close to IOP. I think you can reserve without penalty but ask them about their policy. I think it really is your best option.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 04:07 PM

If you're not opposed to some driving, you might check flights into Myrtle Beach. It's about a 2 hour drive from there to Charleston, but in checking airfares today, it's about $150 cheaper per person (I checked Newark to MB). The rental car may also be cheaper in MB, so your hotel or spending budget may be able to go up with if you save some $$$ on airfare. Now that AirTran is no longer flying into CHS, cheapo flights there seem fewer. We have done the drive from MB to Charleston several times since the airfare savings for 4 people quickly adds up. I'll take a couple of hours in the car to save $600 any day! I enjoy the drive between the two cities as it is along the coast, and if you like to look around, there are several good places to stop along the way.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 04:26 PM

That is so true. I love that drive. There are some nice stops along the way, including the Seewee Restaurant.
http://www.seeweerestaurant.com/
Best ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -