Reload this Page >

BIG ISLAND - HAWAII - ONE DAY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 1997, 08:54 PM
Tom

We'll be staying on Maui in March 1988. Considering going to the Big Island for one day - kids want to see volcanos. Is it worth the time & money for one day? Also thinking of a helicopter tour as the best way to see volcano. Any advice? Thanks

Old Nov 20th, 1997, 05:36 AM
Bart

The Big Island is roughly equivalent in size to the state of Connecticut. I was there last Feb. for 6 days and we didn't see the whole island. As far as flying over from Maui for 1 day , it will be very expensive. Round trip Maui-Kona-Maui roughly $100 each, Helicopter over volcanos - $175 each. In my opinion, it is not worth it, buy a video of Kiluaia and watch it in the comfort of home. Haleakala on Maui is a tremendous site, I was more impressed with that than The Big Island Volcano. Kiluaia took a break while we were there and was not real actice. Just a lot of Steam.
Maui has plenty todo to keep you going.

Old Nov 20th, 1997, 07:01 AM
L. Montgomery

We have been to most of the Islands several times and I would not miss the Big Island.....why not plan to spend 1 night there? The Volcano area is something never to be forgotten. Don't do it in a Helicopter, do it on foot through Volcano National Park. Even if you are paying for your Hotel for the night you could stay at the wonderful Kileauau Lodge (not sure of spelling) up on the volcano rim, a bed & breakfast but the cost is far less then Helicopter.
The Big Island (Hawaii) and the Island of Kaui are the two Islands that give you the picture of the true Hawaii and why it is called "Paradise".

Old Nov 30th, 1997, 09:02 AM
Doug

Ditto on the message above. The Big Island IS Hawaii...the magnificant natural, spiritual and historical Hawaii that has been somewhat overcome by tourists on the other islands. The single most amazing thing I ever did there (3 years in the islands) was standing on the edge of a lava upwelling in Volcanoes National Park pulling 2000 degree lava out of the ground with a long stick (longer the better) and creating my own sculture. Or just as good for most people is sitting just before dawn watching lava enter the sea in an incredible orange stream with billowing clouds of steam overhead. You are watching more island be born...not bad. Don't miss the mountains and sunsets on the Kona coast too. Spend more time there...you will not be sorry

Old Dec 1st, 1997, 06:06 AM
Heather H

Do not miss the big island! I was a research volunteer at Volcanoes National Park this past winter and it was one of the best experiences of my life! Seeing the worlds' most continuous active volcano is incredible. Please don't take the helicopters though. Walking through the lush tropical rainforest and hearing helicopters zoom across the canopy of the forest several times a day is disruptive to those wanting to experience tranquility and peace. Note that because the park is 4000' feet+ to 0' sea level weather is highly variable. The park is most often cool-60-70's and rainy, while traveling closer to sea level can be warm and humid-be prepared. Even if its raining, walking the floor of the Kilauea Crater is a must!