Search

Big Island dilemma

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 1998, 06:46 PM
Denise

Big Island dilemma

Hi! I'm planning a trip to the Big Island. I'm thinking of staying in Kailua-Kona, but it just seems to be so far away from many of the main attractions! Can anyone give me info on driving time between Kailua-Kona and the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Akaka Falls, and anything else of interest? Thanks!

Old May 20th, 1998, 02:58 PM
Debbie

Hi Denise - we did the Big Island in Sept. Drove from Kona to the Volcano National Park. Southern route is shorter (roughly an hour's drive), but northern route is longer, but a little bit more scenic. When you're around Hilo, there's a cool botanical garden (Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden) if you're into the native flowers. Have accommodations yet? Don't stay at the Kona Islander Inn-bugs YUK. We also stayed at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel. That was nice. Email if you'd like more info. (We also visited Kauai-if you have time I'd recommend that island over Hawaii.)

Old May 20th, 1998, 02:59 PM
Debbie

Hi Denise - we did the Big Island in Sept. Drove from Kona to the Volcano National Park. Southern route is shorter (roughly an hour's drive), but northern route is longer, but a little bit more scenic. When you're around Hilo, there's a cool botanical garden (Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden) if you're into the native flowers. Have accommodations yet? Don't stay at the Kona Islander Inn-bugs YUK. We also stayed at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel. That was nice. Email if you'd like more info. (We also visited Kauai-if you have time I'd recommend that island over Hawaii.)

Old May 20th, 1998, 06:27 PM
anne

Denise, We enjoyed the Big Island only for the Hilton Waikoloa Village, otherwise I wouldn't go back. Kauai is better and I would stay both north at the Princeville again and at the Hyatt or Embassy Beach Resort in the south again. Write is any more questions. Anne

Old May 20th, 1998, 08:17 PM
denise

Hi!

Thanks for the info on Hawaii! I do have a couple more questions, if you don't mind.

We were thinking of staying at the Hilo Hawaiian. How nice of a place was it?

How is Hilo? Are there any beaches on that side of the island?

Did you see the Royal Kona Resort?

Last, why would you go to Kauai over the big island? I've been to Kauai and I know it's great for hiking, but I had thought that there was also great hiking/ nature on the Big Island.

Thanks for the advice!

--Denise

Old May 21st, 1998, 07:18 PM
Debbie

Hilo Hawaiian was just a nice average hotel. I think we paid about $120 a night. Nice view if you stay on the ocean side. Typical hotel room, and well kept. I think their restaurant is supposed to have one of the best buffets, but we never did get to try it. But I would stay there again. We were only there for two nights, and did the volcano. So couldn't really tell you what else there was to do in Hilo.

Old May 22nd, 1998, 04:55 PM
Bob

There were some good questions posted about the Big Island. My wife & I plan to go there next week. Will be staying at the Hilo Hawaiian and then go to the other side of the Island to the Kona Beach Hotel. Senior rates for both are $82.00 plus. What does the Kona Beach hotel (formerally King Kamehameha) have to offer. Bob

Old May 24th, 1998, 08:00 PM
Ollie

Hi- We are GOING to Hawaii in August and have found several interesting web sites that should answer all of your questions. Go to
http://www.konaweb.com and they will answer all your driving questions. It has a nice driving time-distance chart and will tell you roads you should avoid. It has a great page of highlights you don't want to miss,
Best of Luck-

Ollie

Old May 24th, 1998, 08:07 PM
Ollie

Does anyone have specific information on the luaus' on the Big Island ? We want people's response on Isalnd Breeze Luau, Kona Viullage Resort Luau, and the Royal Waikoloan Luau.
We don't want a Luau where there is more than 400 people ( even that is too many) and really like the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. Any help would be apppreciated.

Old May 25th, 1998, 06:08 PM
Dayle

When in Hilo, visit the orchid farms if you enjoy flowers. They are gorgeous! Also, the botanical gardens and Akaka Falls are beautiful. I really enjoyed Kona when I was there, but that was 25 years ago! All the islands have become extremely touristy since then. Kauai was my favorite and the Big Island second favorite. The volcanos are a must see, although I understand those pesky lava flows have made it impossible to get to the black sand beaches anymore (no road now). Also, the Parker Ranch on the Big Island is definitely worth visiting. Aloha!

Old May 25th, 1998, 09:23 PM
Natalie

We've been to Hawaii several times and love the Kona coast area. North of the town of Kona there are a number of nice condos. We stayed at the Aston Royal Sea Cliffs which was very nice and reasonably priced...The Aston chain usually offers promotions. That was a number of years ago, so I'd research to make sure it's still nice. I think Kona is the nicest area to stay on the Big Island. Driving to the sights isn't a problem...Don't miss Waipio Valley. The Waikaloa resort is very luxurious, but not very much on local color if that's your preference. Good luck!

Old May 28th, 1998, 01:24 PM
kam

Big Island is our favorite and we've been many times to Hawaii. Most important thing----------Kona to the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is the dry side of the island, Hilo is the wet side---thus the orchids!! If you don't love humidity stay on the Kona Coast! Driving is not a major problem, even to the Volcano--it's quicker from Hilo but I don't think that makes up for the humidity and rain. There's a great steak house at the Parker Ranch. Have fun.

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 01:01 PM
laura

I agree with Kam. The big island is my favorite too. It is so much more diverse than the other islands. Much more to see. I don't think I would want to stay in Hilo either. All it does there is rain. Stay in Kailua-Kona you'll be much better off. There are many gorgeous hotels on the big island.

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 10:55 AM
amy

I just returned from the big island. we stayed at the aston kona by the sea for most of our trip, and decided once we arrived, to spend one night in hilo, we drove the north route to hilo, great scenic way to go! Hilo Hawaiian was ok, older hotel, but it served a purpose, did the helicopter tour from hilo airport, highly recommend blue hawaii helicopter company. big island is my favorite now.. =)