Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in Canada by mid September. Where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 1998, 10:44 AM
Gauden Villas

We are a just married couple of Spaniards living in Nigeria. We need, for a change, to go somewhere we can find, both nature and city life not too far form each other. We always wanted to visit Canada, so we've decided to go there from September te 12th. What can you recommend?. We had thought to explore the Toronto-Montreal area. Are we right?

Old Jun 1st, 1998, 09:14 PM
E. Moos

Depends what you would like to see. Canada is a large country. Toronto & Montreal would be quite interesting but, if you want mountains, then you should go to British Columbia & Alberta.

Old Jun 3rd, 1998, 03:48 PM
Angela

If you are certain that you want both the city and nature then it definately has to be Vancouver. Probably one of the only large cities in the world where you swim in a clean ocean/lake. As well, there is a large natural park basically right in the city. Vancouver has soom of the most beautiful rugged nature in Canada. Another option is to go to Halifax and enjoy a very different kind of nature (plus the city life is supposed to be quite good). Toronto and Montreal are good for both city life and nature, Vancouver and the East coast are great, really different.

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 08:26 AM
Jamie Thorp

If you are going to Toronto than go to Canada's Wonder Land and have some fun with your husband!!!!

Your Friend Jamie!

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 03:27 PM
Neal

I agree with E. Moos . . . depends on what you want . . . but since you mentioned a mix of nature and city, you might think of British Vancouver . . . however my favorite eastern Canadian city -- or for that matter, my favorite city in North America (so far) -- is Quebec, especially the old city around the Chateau Frontenac. There are lovely guest houses at budget prices right next to the Chateau, surrounding the park on the west side (actually prices at the Chateau itself aren't bad considering what you get) -- and then if you rent a car you can drive north a half hour or less and find yourself in beautiful woods . . . I think one of the provincial parks mught be called Jacques Cartier . . . the Quebec tourist bureau is very helpful . . . most of the predominantly francophone natives speak some English (some restaurants and other accommodations advertise spanish too) but seem a whole lot more appreciative than the France French if you at least try to say "bonjour."

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 01:48 PM
Wendi

Hi: I live in California and several years ago decided to take a two week trip to Canada. I rented a car and drove to Seattle, Washington, USA then took a ferry over to Victoria, B.C. Victoria is a
beautiful island, make sure you visit the Gardens there and have high tea at the Empress Hotel. From Victoria I took a ferry back to Vancouver for a couple days and toured around the city. There are lots of fun things to see and do. From Vancouver I drove over the Canadian Rockies to Banff and Lake Louise and then took a day trip to Calgary. The scenery around Banff and lake Louise is the most beautiful I have ever seen. The glaciers, wild life, etc. were all fantastic. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Have a blast where ever you wind up. Wendi

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 10:30 PM
t alexander

Without question you should go to Vancouver,British Columbia, Canada. It has everything you are looking for and it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world!
t alexander

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 04:34 PM
julie

One way to not go wrong if your are visiting Canada in September is to visit south-eastern Quebec. The slice of province just above Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine is rugged, yet raffined and close to major cities you cannot afford to miss: Montreal, but most certainly Quebec City. The leaves will be of majestic colors at that time of the year, something the western provinces can't compete with.

If you go to Quebec, don't sleep in the city. Stay instead at one of the many cozy B&B on Ile d'Orleans, 10 minutes outside the city. You'll have a wonderful view of the river and will meet real French Canadian charm. A restaurant to absolutly go to is called l'Atre...
Have fun!