Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Big Island - 3 days only - which side to stay/visit?

Big Island - 3 days only - which side to stay/visit?

Feb 21st, 2002, 09:03 AM
Ai

Big Island - 3 days only - which side to stay/visit?

Going on a honeymoon and visiting the Big Island for 3 days (we're island hopping). We definitely want to see the Volcano Nat.Park, but are alson iterested in the great beachside on Kona coast. Any suggestions? We'll be renting a car...Any recommendations on lodging?

Feb 21st, 2002, 09:25 AM
deb

We did the same on our honeymoon - 2 weeks in Hawaii on a Tauck Tour. It was wonderful! We visited Volcanoes Nat'l Park, the black sand beaches (go there! - they're gorgeous) and another historical site (on the west coast, I think)whose name I'm afraid escapes me.
We also hit Maui, Molokai, Kuaui, and Hawaii. We didn't have the luxury of the internet to surf before we went, but I'm sure now you can find all sorts of info at your fingertips.
Happy planning and congratulations!
BTW, I have a terrible time with jetlag, but bought a little paperback that had been talked up on Good Morning America called "How to overcome Jet Lag - the Jet Lag Diet" (or something to that effect) It worked wonderfully and I had no jet lag going or coming home. I highly recommend it!

Deb

Feb 21st, 2002, 10:23 AM
BobbiOh

There are some great hotels and condos in the Kona area, but without knowing your price range it's hard to give out a recommendation. There's actually more to do in Kona than on the other side of the island, so I think you're on the right track there.

High and low ranges....King Kamehameha is a good buy and well located. Hilton Waikoloa is an incredible hotel. They even have "Dolphin quest".

Good Luck,

Bobbi

Feb 21st, 2002, 10:37 AM
me

Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel on the Northwest Kona coast - trust me - a BEAUTIFUL beach. Mauna Kea beach hotel is next door - also a beautiful beach. These are 2 of the best beaches you will see in your life - because they are 2 of the best beaches in the world.

The hotels are a little pricey, but even if you dont stay there - if you are a beach lover, you have to visit these beaches at least for a day.

Feb 21st, 2002, 12:18 PM
CF

We stayed in Kona and saw everything there basically was to see in 2 days. We had a car and one day we went one direction and the next day the other. Had a great time and saw all the good stuff at our own pace.

Search this Thread