COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Big Basin

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Big Basin

We are traveling to Monterey next week from San Francisco on Highway 1. Where do we turn to go to the Big Basin Redwoods and how far is it from SF?
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 10:36 AM

If you are travelling down Hwy 1 from SF, there are several ways you could go to Big Basin. There are several backroads which make for a shorter route, but I think sticking to the highways will be more straightforward.

When you get to Santa Cruz, Hwy 1 will go straight through the west side of town on Mission Street. After a few miles, Hwy 1 makes a left turn off Mission St (no worries, it's well marked). Shortly after you will come to the junction of Hwy 1 and Hwy 9. You make a left onto Hwy 9 and follow it up the mountain to Boulder Creek and then make a left onto Big Basin Way.

From SF to Santa Cruz it is about 1 to 1 1/2 hours and then another 45 minutes or so up to Big Basin.

Another route would be to take Hwy 280 out of SF. It will take you about 45 minutes to get to the San Jose area. Take Hwy 85 to Hwy 9, go through the town of Saratoga and up the mountain to Big Basin. It should take you about 45 minutes to an hour from San Jose to Big Basin.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 11:56 AM

280 is a much better option for getting to Big Basin than route 1. Taking route 1 will require backtracking up to Big Basin.

The best route is to take 280 to Highway 17 south. As you head towards Santa Cruz and come down from the summit, you will see a sign on the freeway for Big Basin. The actual road name is Mount Hermon Road. Exit the freeway here and stay right onto Mount Hermon Road. Stay on this road as it goes through the city of Scotts Valley. Mount Hermon Road ends at an intersection with a signal(Graham Hill Rd.). Turn right at this light. You will immediately come to another lighted intersection (Highway 9). Turn right again. Stay on Highway 9 in this northerly direction for 15 miles. You will be traveling through several mountain towns. You will eventually come to the town of Boulder Creek. In Boulder Creek there is one stop sign. At this stop sign you will turn left onto Highway 236/Big Basin Way. Stay on this highway for 9 miles and you will enter the Park.

Both 280 and 17 are scenic freeways. You could also take 85 to Highway 9, but in my experience this takes longer than 280/17.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 12:56 PM

Alto - I considered recommending the 17/Mt Hermon Rd route, but I didn't because it always seems to take longer than going up 9 from Saratoga. I'm not much of a clock watcher, so I don't know the exact travel times, but the 17 route takes you almost all the way into Santa Cruz and then you have to back track up hwy 9.

I agree with you though that either route will be faster than Hwy 1 through Santa Cruz.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:51 AM

Hi,

We'd like to make a day trip out of San Francisco to see Redwoods. Is Big Basin about 2.5 hours north? Would Muir Woods fit the bill, so we could include a stop in Wine Country on the same day? Are there any Redwood parks near the Healdsburg area? Thanks in advance for any tips!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 01:54 PM

Hi Dreamer2,

Actually Big Basin is about 2 hours south of SF and is much nice than Muir Woods. It really would not be feasible to combine a day trip to both the wine country AND Muir Woods. I would advise doing Wine Country and Big Basin as separate side trips. The best way to do it would be to spend one night both the Wine Country and near Big Basin in San Jose in order to make the most out of your time there. Otherwise you will end up spending more time on the road that sightseeing in Wine Country or Big Basin.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:20 PM

Hi dreamer. There are multiple locations where you can see the redwoods. Big Basin is nice, but Muir Woods also has the famous tree in abundance. If you are headed up to the Wine Country, you could go to Healdsburg and take an easy side trip along the Russian River to Armstrong Grove State park in Guerneville. There is a short and lovely walk through the forest there to see the very old General Sherman tree--- or if you are feeling like more hiking you can hike through the forest and do the ridge trail. Entrance fee is only $2.00.