big apple bagels

Feb 12th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

big apple bagels

Has anyone ever heard of this company? Would appreciate any feedback.
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:15 AM

I've had Big Apple bagels before. They're ok. Too airy in texture and too many fru fru flavors. Not dense and chewy like real NY bagels.
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:39 PM

We use to have one but I didn't think much of their bagels either. I prefer Noah's Bagels.

Utahtea

Feb 12th, 2004, 12:57 PM

Oh, the power of internet searches:

http://www.babholdings.com/

"BAB Holdings, Inc. (OTCBB: BABB) franchises and licenses Big Apple Bagels, My Favorite
Muffin, and Brewster's Coffee throughout the US and internationally"

I've had them at a reststop on the NY Thruway and at a shop in Williamsburg, and don't think them anything to write back home about. Obxgirl's opinion is right on -- I miss the Brueggers that was once in the same Richmond Rd location.
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:03 PM

Does anyone remember a REAL bagel bakery. do they still exist?

The kind of place with long brick ovens. The bakers used long paddles (peels?) to take the bagels out.

Feb 12th, 2004, 03:20 PM

In a word, yuck. Just my *humble* opinion
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Dick, We visited some friends in Montclair NJ recently and enjoyed some great bagels from a neighborhood place. Just as you describe with the oven and paddle.

A franchise, Chesapeake Bagel Bakery, prepares bagels the same way. I think they're pretty decent for Not Really NY bagels and they're way better than Big Apple. But they are not the same animal. I have often wondered what the discriminating feature is that makes NY bagels taste so good and all other like varying degrees of imposters.
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:23 AM

I've found Chesapeake Bagels pretty good too. I never noticed bagels in NY with all the things *IN* them (berrys, bananas, nuts, raisins, etc.) as much as *ON* them (poppy, sesame, onion, etc) and wonder if messing with the dough itself by the added ingredients is what makes them different. When I was stationed on the Peninsula in the 70's, you couldn't find a bagel - I remember finding something called a bagel that had the taste & consistancy of a hamburger bun, but shaped into a ring - ugh! How many bagel makers "boil" the rings before baking? Is that the difference? Or is it just in our minds -- like I swear you can't get a good cheese steak ANYWHERE but Philadelphia. Mmmmm... scrapple on a bagel -- not!