Search

Bicycling in Naples, Florida?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bicycling in Naples, Florida?

Hi there.

Patrick and LilMsFoodie on this site have given me such great food advice regarding the restaurants to visit while I am in Naples, now I need help working off the calories!

Does anyone know if Naples is good for pleasure biking? Are there any good cycling trails? How about bike shops for rentals and advice?

Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:54 AM

There are a number of people who bicycle here, but my honest take is: it isn't fun! I used to have a bike and didn't use it for so long I forgot the combination to unlock it, so finally sold it. Mostly there are hit and miss bicycle lanes along the side of some of the main streets (particularly Gulf Shore Blvd), but with our elderly and out of state or out of country drivers, I find it terribly dangerous to ride -- or at least to be able to enjoy yourself without being constantly on guard for the driver who doesn't see you coming through an intersection. You can rent bikes at The Bike Shop on 41 near downtown.

On a side note, I'm always putting off going to Shark Valley in the Everglades and doing their bicycle path which sounds like fun -- but that's a good hour and a half or more drive each way from Naples.

And I do believe you can do bicycles on the trail at the Conservancy place near Marco.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Patrick.

Maybe we will check out the biking in Marco then if we are so inclined.

Otherwise, eating, drinking and hopefully, beaching!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:05 AM
dln

I beg to differ, Patrick. My parents live in Naples and when we visit them, we always bring, and use, our bikes. We've ridden miles and miles in Naples and it's been very enjoyable. It all depends on WHERE you choose to bike.

I'd stay off the main roads (as Patrick would agree) and stick to those with bike paths, or the more residential streets. The AAA puts out a very good street map that will guide you away from the main arteries.

One of our favorite bike rides starts at the Ritz Carlton (Vanderbilt Beach Road). Take one of the side streets to Pelican Bay Blvd. Ride on the path, which has nice shady bits. You'll come to the Philharmonic and from there get onto Crayton Road, which you can ride down to the end. We usually take side roads and cycle through all the neighborhoods so as to avoid traffic.

We've cycled plenty of streets in Naples at the height of the season without mishap and so can you!

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 09:46 AM

I suppose I agree with you. I live in Olde Naples and know that's where jamierin is going to be. I've seen so many narrow misses between cars and bikes (and a couple of non-misses, including watching a guy fly over the hood of a car that hit him crossing right in front of a stop sign) on my morning walks, that it just isn't something I plan to do again.

But in the residential areas of North Naples, particularly Pelican Bay or Pelican Marsh, it has to be much better.

In any case, if you're biking please play it safe and wear a helmet!