B&B's in Rhode Island

Search

B&B's in Rhode Island

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B's in Rhode Island

Has anyone stayed at either Blueberry Cove in Narraganset or Shelter Harbor in Westerly? We're trying to decide between them. Maybe you even have another suggestion.
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 10:48 AM

The Shelter Harbor Inn is a local favorite for its' great dining room. This is one of my favorite restaurants. While I have never stayed here, my friend and I snuck upstairs one nite after dinner to get a peek at the rooms. There are approx 8 - 9 rooms, all quite lovely. This setting is close to beaches but in a very quiet area.
I can't help you with Blueberry Cove.
Best I can say is I wouldn't hesitiate to stay at Shelter Harbor. Be advised tho, this is a very quiet area - mostly residential. Great beaches nearby...
Shelter Harbor has a website..www.shelterharborinn.com
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comment, Emily. We made a 3 night reservation at Shelter Harbor today. Figured the distances aren't too great in RI so we can do beach walking one day along the coast and then perhaps explore Jamestown the other. Are you familiar with Beavertail State Park there or have any other suggestions for Jamestown?

We'll definitely try the restaurant at Shelter Harbor at least one night. Do you have any other favorites in the area? Doesn't necessarily need to be fancy, just good food, preferably seafood.
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 03:55 PM
scs

I have not been to Beavertail myself, but my parents have taken my boys there before, and they all had a great time. I have a great picture of the four of them on the rocks at Beavertail with the ocean behind them. I have eaten at the Shelter Harbor, and I agree that it is a wonderful dinner. There are many very casual seafood places in and around Narragansett. Champlin's (sp?) and George's are in Galilee. Captain Jack's is in Jerusalem, about a mile off of route 1 (I can't remember the exact exit, but I do know it is the one right after Matunuck Beach Road as you are heading north on route 1). I absolutely love the Rhode Island clam chowder and clam cakes there. I don't know if you have had it before, but the Rhode Island chowder has a clear broth -yum! I have enjoyed both Basil's and Spain in Narragansett, but they are not specifically seafood and are definately not as casual as the seafood restaurants I mentioned.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 09:49 AM

I think that you will enjoy Sheltor Harbor. What month are you planning to visit??
You will be about 25 minutes away from Foxwoods if that turns you on. There is a great Indian Museum nearby to Foxwoods that is very interesting.You'll be about 40 minutes or so from Jamestown - great in the summer and pretty desolate after Nov 1. Great views from Beavertail ( also great fishing!)The island is small ( about 10 miles ) mostly residential.
There are 2 great restaurants on Jamestown - Tricia's Tropi Grill and Chopmist Charlie's - run by the same folks. Tricia's has Caribbean style food and Charlie's is seafood. Tricia's is fun in the summer to sit outside and listen to the jazz band.
Any other questions?
The Block Island Ferry is about 25 minutes away from SH Inn.
I personally would avoid George's. Champlins is just OK.
Captain Jack's is on Succotash Road - the folks at the hotel can give you direction.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 09:04 AM
scs

Clousie, take EmilyC's advice about George's and Champlin's. It has been years since I have been to either one, and I'd hate to steer you wrong.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Emily and SCS for your comments and recommendations.

We're going in early November and realize the weather can be either great or rather blustery. Hope to get some beach walking in--Watch Hill and Charlestown Beach sound interesting. We also enjoy discovering out of the way spots in small towns. Guess we're into simple things such as just sipping a steaming coffee while overlooking a beautiful natural setting. Not sure how far inland we'll explore; guess that depends on the weather.

Any other suggestions of "off the beaten track" things to see? We do plan to stop at Mystic Aquarium on our way to RI, but Foxwoods doesn't appeal to us. We also hope to get to Jamestown and Beavertail Park. We'll have two full days, plus part of Sunday, to explore the area.

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:21 AM

You might enjoy wandering around Westerly and taking a break at the Olympia Tea Room there. If you have good weather, enjoy some good hikes at Trustom Pond in South Kingstown, Ninigret Beach in Charlestown, Napatree Point in Westerly.
Have a good trip!