Reload this Page >

Bicycling in Manhattan

Search

Bicycling in Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 11:20 AM
GOL

Bicycling in Manhattan

Are there any laws, regulations, restrictions on riding a bicycle Manhattan?

Any web sites that have NYC laws, etc?

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Caitlin

Here ya go: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/get.../bikemain.html

Scroll to the bottom for links to laws and regulations.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 12:39 PM
xxx

No rules it is a bit frustrating though not what you expect in towns where you only have to worry about cars every few minutes. It is a great way to see a large amount of the city in a short amount of time. Bring excellent locks. I do love biking it, just takes a bit getting use to . I suggest a ride over the brooklyn bridge. I live hear nobody has ever stopped me for breaking any laws and I do not wear a helmut.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 12:39 PM
GOL

Thanks a million. Another good post, Caitlin.

going in this Sat early am.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Howard

Isn't the main road in Central Park closed to automobile traffic on weekends, so that bicyclists, rollerbladers and joggers can use it freely?

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 02:56 PM
Owen O'Neill

I believe Howard is correct. Another good option is the path that runs from Battery Park City up to or past the GW Bridge. It has four lanes, each wide enough for a walker, runner, cyclist or roller blader. It's open to folks on all those means of conveyance and runs along the edge of the Hudson - great place to ride a bike.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 03:37 PM
rqf

Central Park's east and west drives have one lane of three always closed to vehicular traffic. As was pointed out the park is closed to cars on the weekend. Monday to Friday Central Park roadways (two of three lanes) are open to automobiles from 7 to 10am and 4 to 7 pm.
The path that runs along the Hudson River from Battery Park to the George Washington Bridge can also be used for bicycle riding