Search

NYC HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Carol

NYC HELP PLEASE!!

We are to be in NYC soon and have reservations at Days Inn, NYC at 790 Eighth
Ave., Midtown Manhattan. Does anyone know
this neighborhood? Is it safe? And what options do we have as for transportation to
the major sights? Any good restaurants close
by?

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Howard

You'll be block from Times Square. The area's not that pretty, but it's fairly safe.
As for restaurants, you are close to literally dozens, perhaps hundreds! Adn, you are close to the subway....but you can easily walk to a lot of the sites which are within a mile radius--Fifth Avenue, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, etc.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Owen O'Neill

Yes you're close to transportation. It's a few blocks up or downtown on 8th to a subway station (the A,C,E line runs along this part of 8th if I recall correctly). Some other major subway lines (N, R and 2,3 and 1,9) are a short walk - a block or two east and a block a few blocks up or down town from there. It's a very safe neighborhood. I woudn't suggest that a single woman gallivant around at 3AM but that holds true for most neighborhoods in most cities. There are many restaurants of all price levels and cuisine types on both 8th and 9th Avenue in that area and of course there's always "restaurant row" on 46th just a few blocks down. Both Joe Allen and Becco are on 46th and get good recommendations in this forum. Chez Josephine and Soul Cafe are two others I've tried that come to mind and are very good. There's also a Vietnamese restaurant on the southeast corner of 9th and 46th (or perhaps 45th or 47th but definitely on 9th). It has excellent food at very moderate prices.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:47 PM
al

Hi Carol: When you get a chance, do a search on 'Hotel Dilemma' and read that series of posts. It's a comparison of 3 hotels in the area you'll be staying.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Carol

What is "Hotel dilema"? I'd look it up
if I had a clue what it was! Help!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 06:16 PM
sam

Carol, you must be a newcomer. At the top of the page, type in the text search box "Hotel Dilemma", click on New York, and you will get the info Al is referring to--maybe more!

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 08:32 AM
Cynthia

Carol,
I've stayed at that hotel and it is fine. Many restaurants in the area, but since it is a touristy area they can get fairly pricey. For more reasonably priced meals, you might want to try the upper west side or the village.

A good suggestion for a restaurant in your area would be the Hourglass Tavern on 46th. It is a tiny place that was referred to in John Grisham's book, The Firm. They have two course meals (good food) in two different price ranges (around $12 and $15 I think).

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 03:59 PM
rqf

Area is fine. Hotel is one blcok west of Broadway and the Times Square district.
It is a five or less than 10 minute walk to most Broadway theaters. Available transportation couldn't be better. Train stations located at 50th and 8th (C train),5oth and Broadway (#1 and #9) and 49th and Broadway (N and R). Hotel is at 8th and 49th. The above trains will take you to most major sights. YOu could also walk to most midtown places of interest.