Search

Beyond Nashville

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beyond Nashville

We are looking for suggestions of places that are within driving distance of Nashville and have interesting area to explore. How far are the larger cities of Memphis, Knoxville, and Chattanooga, for example?
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 04:40 PM

Nashville is located in the center of the state with Memphis & Knoxville approximately 3 hours west & east, give or take a bit depending on speed/traffic/etc. (I-40 runs the length of the state.) Chattanooga is about 2 hours southeast, via I-24, on the border with Georgia. The mountains of Eastern Tennessee are beautiful and, depending on the time of your visit, possibly worth a visit. I'd suggest doing some research on Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga and the Smokey Mountains to determine if they interest you.

Enjoy TN!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 05:45 PM

Litchfield is about an hour southwest of Nashville, home of Jack Daniels. It's a great ride with a great free tour. Chattanooga is about an hour from there. You could do both in one day. Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga is full of civil war history and very scenic.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 05:46 PM

Also....Memphis is about 220 miles from Nashville
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 01:42 PM

Jack Daniels and Jim Beam distillers are located in Lynchburg, Tn. Take TN55 off I65S at Manchester. Is well marked. If you are not coming for some time Mary Bobo Boarding House is excellent but somewhat pricey place for lunch. Served at 11 & 1pm served homestyle with a hostess. They are booked often months in advance. It is located within walking distance of the distillery in the Lynchburg. Two hours south of Nashville is Huntsville and home of Space Camp and what they bill as the world's largest space museum. There is a fullsize shuttle with external tank and solid rocket boosters in the park as well as a number of other rockets including a actual Saturn V laying horizontal and a actual size replica set vertically. There is also an SR71 Blackbird. There are several museums including EarlyWorks and SciQuest for kids. If you travel to Knoxville or Chattanooga keep in mind they are on Eastern time where Nashville, Memphis and Huntsville are on Central time.