Reload this Page >

Beware the BWI Ramada -- hanger scam!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 11:56 AM
iad

As reported in the Washington Post today: they have charged a customer $25 for stealing five hangers from the closet -- which he denies. The customer, who was in the room only a matter of hours before an oh-dark-thirty flight, only found out about the charge when his Visa bill arrived. The hotel manager wouldn't deal with the situation, so the Post called corporate HQ, which replied that "it's not cool to take hangers." They refuse to back down and have told him his only recourse is to sue through the civil courts.

The amount of ill will this will cause Ramada by appearing on the front page of the Post's Sunday travel section far outweighs the $25 they think they lost.

Unbelievable how short-sighted "management" is...

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 12:19 PM
xx

Very true. I also read the WP article this morning and sense that this is a corporate policy. A Ramada was one of several hotels being considered to hold a reunion in. Now I'm not so sure about it.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 01:19 PM
gjj

The PR genius at Ramada who doesn't know that a call from THE WASHINGTON POST'S TRAVEL EDITORS is something to be taken seriously must be a hack. And what a flip response: "it's not cool..."

Nothing short of a gracious apology and refund is due this customer, though it sounds like Ramada is going to hold out for their $25.00.

Wow.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 03:11 PM
KK

Why is ANYONE surprised by Ramada's stupidity? The chain has been declining for yours and with a few possible exceptions most properties are now in the ROACH MOTEL class.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Leslie

What could one hotel hanger be made of to make it even worth $5 (5 hangers = $25)? Besides I thought that most hotels had prevented hanger theft by customizing the hanger, so that it has to fit into an aluminum gizmo, making the hanger worthless anywhere else.

If the Ramada is so desperate for hangers, I have a couple of hundred wire ones (from the cleaners) that I'd be happy to donate and even a hundred or so nice plastic ones (that come from nicer stores). Even when you go to Macy's, TJ Maxx, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom's, etc., if you ask for the hanger when you make a purchase they give it to you.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 05:45 PM
xx

ttt

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Theresalways

'Course, Ramada might get some corporate support from those companies that have a problem with thievery and shrinkage....

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 07:33 PM
bob

If that was truly HQ's response and not the (presumably) less adept field manager at BWI saying "it's uncool, sue if you want" then that's all I need to know about Ramada from here on out. No business from me -- ever. If their HQ staff can't be counted on to get simple issues like this correct (it's the Post calling, for God's sake), then I'm pretty sure they must be inept at safety issues, credit card processing, etc. as well.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 05:45 AM
x

Slow news day at the Post, possibly? Anyway, why the heck did the guy steal the stupid hangers anyway? Sounds like it wasn't cool at all.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 05:45 AM
hhh

How do you prove that you DIDN'T steal something? Seems to me that Ramada is stealing from this guy -- by placing a $25 charge on his credit card that he cannot get out of short of a lawsuit.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:14 AM
ggo

Someone at the Best Western probably stole them for their own use! REally, who would steal them? Their construction makes them useless unless you're in a hotel...

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 10:29 AM
xyz

I'm finding more and more often, Fodor's is deleting certain posts and I think it has to do with the fact that they are now allowing advertising.

Wait for a Ramada advertisement to pop up. You think this post will even be retrievable? Doubt it.

It won't be long before this becomes one sugar-coated, G-rated site controlled only by Fodor's and the advertisers who are paying money to advertise here.

So far this morning, three posts have been deleted. And two were travel related, they just may have had a little corporate-bashing in them.

It's sad to see that Fodor's has changed their objective. We can no longer warn others about a rip off resort because Fodor's may be taking money for and advertiser to be here. How long before this one is gone? Anybody taking bets?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 10:33 AM
xx

If I were a "rip-off resort", I would advertise with Fodors....just so they would delete any negative posts

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 12:21 PM
to

ttt