Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

better snorkel - key west or looe key marine sanctuary

Old Apr 23rd, 2000, 02:22 PM
lili

i promise i won't ask again (i keep re-posting to get back to the top)

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 05:00 AM
Neal Sanders

Lili, there are two coral reef segments in the Florida Keys. One is off Key Largo (Pennekamp State Park), the other is off Big Pine Key (Looe Key Marine Sanctuary). Of the two, Looe Key has better snorkeling and diving because the reefs are more intact and there are fewer divers to bump into.

There is no snorkel-worthy area around Key West. It's just rocks and seaweed. Hope this helps.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 05:27 AM
susan

Neal - I've only been snorkeling once in my life so I have virtually no knowledge whatsoever of this subject. However, having said that...the place my husband and I snorkeled was off Key West and we were told it was the only living reef in North America. I assume the "rocks and seaweed" to which you refer are off the beach and not the reef.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 08:50 AM
Neal Sanders

Susan, you were probably snorkeling at Looe Key, which is at Mile Marker 24. There are dive boats that go there from Key West, though it is a much shorter trip going out of Big Pine or Torch Key.

I absolutely, positively guarantee you that there is no coral reef immediately off of Key West.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 10:51 AM
lili

the snorkel guide tours in key west tell me that looe key is too far for their 3-4 hour trip, and they go to other snorkel areas closer to key west ... are these areas basically just extensions of looe key marin sanctuary?
-still confused

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 12:47 PM
susan

lili - I wasn't confused before, but I'm definitely confused now!! I tried looking up a couple of Key West web sites to get a little better insight into exactly WHERE I snorkeled, but all I found was further information about the "only living coral reef", etc., etc.
The snorkeling trip I took was only several hours (4, I think), so I assume I didn't go to Looe Key. And all the snorkelers were warned to keep their feet away from the reef so as to not damage it. One more thing while I'm at it...we also took a glass bottom boat trip to get a close up look at the reef and fish swimming in and around it. This trip wasn't more than a few hours, either. I don't understand what accounts for this discrepancy of information but I'm determined to find out!

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 04:26 PM
Owen O'Neill

Neal is correct in that there are no reef areas immediately adjacent to Key West. There are, however, reef areas with decent snorkeling which are much closer than Looe key. I had a distinct recollection of "rocks" being part of the name of the area where our charter went and it took us about 45 minutes to get there on a trimaran that moved at a leisurely pace. A bit of research at

http://www.fknms.nos.noaa.gov/resear...oring/map.html
indicates that we were at Eastern Dry Rocks, which is 10km away from Key West. Several years prior, I too a "bargain" charter from Pennekamp State Park and found the experience disappointing. The Eastern Dry Rocks area was a major contrast. Although the plant life and reef itself was not particularly colorful, there was an abundance of fish and sea life. I saw several 4-5 foot nurse sharks, a few barracuda, a school of enormous grouper and even got to swim around behind a sea turtle for awhile. There were also countless smaller fish, multihued and active. Spend the extra $$ to go with the smallest possible charter group and it will be well worth the investment.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 01:04 PM
lili

hi owen - do you happen to recall what snorkel outfit took you out to the Eastern Dry Rocks? thanks

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 02:48 PM
susan

lili - I think if I were you, I'd just plan to snorkel out of the place where you plan to stay. I'm sure either of your choices would be great (depending on weather conditions). And just because I'm so curious - not to mention stubborn - I contacted the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary to inquire about snorkeling out of Key West and was told that both Looe Key and Western Sambo Ecological reserve (which is much nearer Key West)have large areas of living coral reef. And a Key West local said snorkel trips from there often go to Sand Key, which is also close. Just flip a coin...I bet you'll love it!

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 03:55 PM
Owen O'Neill

We went with Restless Native, which was recommended by the proprietor of the guesthouse where we stayed (Jasmine House). Our experience was great and the operators (a couple - his name was B.D. - I can't recall her name) were extremely hospitable and knowledgable. They do two trips per day (the large charters make three trips) and stagger their arrival time at the mooring spots to ensure that the large charters are either not there yet or just leaving. We took the "half-day" trip (about 3 hours). They only take 6 people but there were just 4 on our trip. Whatever outfit you choose - go with a small group.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 04:19 PM
Star Jordan

This dialogue is very interesting to me also! I am going in June and am also looking for good snorkling tips as well as dolphin encounter info. Other people have told me that the Looe Key is a great snorkling site and also John Pennekamp up in Key Largo where we will be staying. Lili, if you have any URL's of sites related to the dolphin encounters, I would love to have them!

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 04:46 PM
local

If you want to experience WOW! while snorkeling go to Looe Key. The launch is only about 20 plus miles north of Key West by car. The snorkeling off of Key West or the Dry Tortugas has too much bleached out and dead coral. Looe Key compares to snorkeling in Maui. Vibrant colors dominate. Please don't just go snorkeling to whatever is most convenient to your lodging. You'll miss out on so much. Why travel all the way to Key West and not experience the best that nature has to offer? And buy a one-time use underwater 35mm camera at Walmart, Kmart, photo stores to use while snorkeling. Very cheap! Around $15 includes film. Developing extra.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 05:06 PM
Star Jordan

ONE MORE THING!! I just talked to two people who have been there and they said John Pennekamp State Park is world-class snorkling, well-kept and crystal clear - they also said down by Key West are lots of rocks and jellyfish that are hard to see. I just read almost the same thing on a comment on this board too so it must be true! I will see for myself in June!!