Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Better for four days-Tucson or Scottsdale?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 04:37 AM
USFlyer

Hi,
I want to go to Arizona in Feb for four days with my wife and 2 year old. Where would we have more fun-Scottsdale or Tucson? I'm thinking the weather will be similar.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 05:57 AM
bj

I don't really know about the weather in Feb., but as an annual visitor in March, my vote is for Tuscson. Tucson elevation is actually higher and there may be differences in the weather at that time of the year.
Tucson is much prettier, the towm much nicer and much more for families to do. It can still be quite cool in Feb however, so you may not get much pool time if thats a priority.
There are tons of things to do and see around Tucson and at the risk of being accused of not being helpful, there have been several threads discussing this topic. A search on "Tucson" is worth your while.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 06:29 AM
xxx

Are you kidding? Scottsdale is much more of a vacation destination than Tucson! Hands down. However, if you don't care about having a wide array of shopping, great restaurants, nice resorts, etc than it wouldn't matter.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 06:54 AM
bj

How much shopping or fancy dining can you do with a 2 year old???
Scottdsdale is famous for their fancy spa resorts and golf courses but again, I'm not sure thats real appropriate for a toddler.
If thats what USFlyer is looking for than by all means, head to Scottsdale.
If he's looking for scenery, parks, zoos, museums, etc than its still Tucson IMO.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 07:12 AM
xxx

I am not suggesting taking a 2 year old to a spa, a golf course, or a fancy restaurant. I am just suggesting that there may be more of a variety of things like shopping, restaurants, and lodging. Have a great time, wherever you choose! The mountain scenery will be spectacular in either place, and the weather will probably be in the 60's, maybe low 70's.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 12:03 PM
peterb

I'd vote for Tucson if you are up for the outdoors. The Arizona-Sonoran Desert museum is good for most a day. It's like a zoo, botanical garden, and natural history museum all rolled into one...seems like it would be great fun for a toddler. Saguaro Nationa Monuments east and west are good for walking, hiking and enjoying cacti and birds. As an added attraction, Mt Lemmon is right there so, if you tire of the desert, you can take the 45 minute ride to the top and enjoy the trees and some skiing if there's snow. Every climate and plant type is represented at different elevations as you go up Mt. Lemmon so it's like a little mini-tour of what Arizona has to offer. Tucson isn't small but is quite manageable compared to sprawling Phoenix. It will be a little cooler in Tucson than Phoenix but not too much. Kitt Peak is also in range of a day trip from Tucson if you enjoy observing observatories. There's great stuff to see and do in the Phoenix area but, for a four day "mini-trip" I think Tucson will give you a great taste of what Arizona has to offer without traveling great distances.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 01:05 PM
Howard

Here's another vote for Tucson. In addition to the sites previously mentioned, I'd also recommend a walk in Sabino Canyon, though I'm not sure what the temperature at the top will be in February.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 02:52 PM
Rich

Go to Tucson. Scottsdale is so overrated. Yes, the shopping, resorts and dining are better in Scottsdale than in Tucson, but who cares? Please don't plan a trip around shopping or eating. What's more important are the activities and enviroment that surround you. As previous posters have mentioned, Tucson is more charming, prettier and has more choices of day trips than Scottsdale. To me, Phoenix/Scottsdale is what Dallas would be like if it were in the desert.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Cash

If you're into spending, $cottsdale is the place. Shops, shops and it's snobby! You would love the flavor of the old SW in Tuscon, plus it will give your kiddo places to run off the energy, if you know what I mean. In Snottsdale, I mean $cottsdale, the kiddo will be confined to expensive shops, long waits in restuarants...get the picture?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Leanne

**Do not stay in Tucson!! Scottsdale is much nicer area. Just about any hotel there is well kept. We stayed in Scottdale last March and drove to Tucson for a spring training game. I couldn't wait to leave.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Lisa

Can't speak to Tucson, but just spent a weekend in Scottsdale. The Desert Botanical Gdn is wonderful, with great walking trails you could take the stroller on. The zoo is nearby. There's an excellent annual Fine Arts Festival that will go on into mid March that you could stroll the baby through (It's in tents.) The Heard Museum would be of adult interest. N. of Scottsdale is the Cave Creek area, with an old west theme. Fun for kids of all ages. We could have easily amused ourselves for four days in the Scottsdale area - and barely have begun to shop. Plus, Sedonna isn't too far and other sites. It was too cool to hang out by the pool, so you don't need some sort of spectacular pool hotel, either. Good luck.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Brian Kilgore

It snowed in Tucson today.

BAK

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 08:26 AM
thor

USFlyer: Following this thread, it seems like you can decide where to go based on your interests. If you are more interested in shopping, dining out, and organized outdoor activities, like golf, Scottsdale is probably your place. However, if you are more interested in the natural outdoors, I believe Tucson is a more interesting decision. As a Canadian tourist, I have visited both places on more than one occasion. I am interested in nature, and found Tucson, and the surrounding areas much more interesting than Scottsdale. The whole Western half of North America is somewhat cool now, but don't worry, it will warm up.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 08:35 AM
Jen

Scottsdale is snobby?
Sure, compared to Brownslime, Mississippi.
That's not a reason to avoid Scottsdale.
Sheesh.

And while Tucson is a bit prettier overall, it has little to offer in the way of restaurants, shopping and other urban niceties (beyond the U of A), compared with other cities its size.

PHX/Scottsdale is short on culture for an area of 3 million people.
But there's still more to see and do than in Tucson.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:37 AM
Doris

I don't know what's up with Leanne but Tucson has so much to offer. All of the top things have been mentioned. Scottsdale is foo-foo and overrated. But - the Gem and Mineral Show is in Tucson in February and this is huge! It may be hard to find accomadations.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Leanne

Well Doris I'd say that I have a right to my own opinion. I have lived in Phoenix (still have family there)and travel to Scottsdale every year for Spring Training. Scottsdale has some very nice things, but I hardly think it is foo-foo. Hey, we can't all agree all the time! Scottsdale here I come!