Best whale watching in Pacific NW

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are doing a trip to Seattle and Vancouver in late June/early July. We are not sure yet whether we will go to Vancouver Island as well. We have 2 kids, ages 11 and almost 9 that love outdoor activities.

Where is the best location for whale watching? Is San Juan Islands truly the best? I have seen a Victoria Clipper that goes to San Juan Islands directly from Seattle. I know you can also go to San Juan islands yourself. Is it worth taking my car over? Are there tours that leave directly from Vancouver? Should we stay in Victoria for a night or two and connect to a tour from there?

Are there whale watching operators that are better than others? (i.e. better customer service, smaller crowds, faster boats, or better success in spotting)

We would also love some kayaking, probably 2 tandams with an adult in each, but my daughter is a decent paddler. Should we combine kayaking with a longer stay in San Juan Islands or Victoria? Or should we just do the whale watching tour and take the kids kayaking separately somewhere calmer like Deep Cove north of Vancouver?

Thanks for the advice,
Beth
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 09:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Beth, You have 18 answers on your other thread with these same questions. I'll top it for you.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 10:03 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
If you want to combine whale watching and kayaking -
http://www.outdoorodysseys.com/envir...uan-islands-2/

There are 194 reviews to read from at this link -
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...slands_Wa.html
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 01:48 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Beth, I talked to the guy from OO today. He returned my call from a few days ago. I did ask about your 8 year old and he said that the half day tour would be perfect - with an adult and a child in a double kayak.

http://www.outdoorodysseys.com/custo...ay-kayak-tour/

This is at the top of my bucket list and hope to finally scratch it off in September.

Happy planning!
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 11:12 PM

We went with Island Adventures in Anacortes. Had a great trip and saw the J pod of Orcas. Wonderful trip, good commentary, lots of other animals seen.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 12:50 AM

We went to Vancouver Island some years ago (boys were 9 & 7), fantastic ferry ride to get there but you can take a float plane from Vancouver. Victoria is beautiful very reminiscent of the UK. Whale watching....we saw two giant pods of Orca from boat trip out of Campbell river (that was on a large boat) but the best and most amazing trip was seeing the Humpbacks form Tofino. We took that trip on a Zodiak which meant we were in the middle of the humpbacks in the mist and drizzle at their level. It was something I'll never forget.... Saw Grey whales and lots of Minke as well and a 9ft swell to contend with on the way home...very exhilarating! Plan to return and we would do same again....

https://www.jamies.com/site/whale-watching.html (Tofino)
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 02:38 PM

James Maya Whale Watching Tours in San Juan Islands in my opinion is the best option.