Best way to get to Baltimore from NJ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I'm going to Baltimore for a few days in July. I've never been there and I'll be staying at the Renaissance Harborplace. I don't want to drive. I'd rather not fly. Is the train a good idea? Amtrak? I'm about 15 minutes away from the Newark area. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM

The train is a great idea -- Amtrak from Newark to Baltimore, it couldn't be simpler.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:33 PM

I think the train is a very good idea - you won't have to deal with I-95. I'm guessing you could take the Amtrak Acela down - or even a Amtrak regional wouldn't be that much longer time-wise.

The train station is a quick cab ride away from your hotel - you probably would not want to walk it.

Most of the main attractions are in the Inner Harbor area and easily walkable or you could hop on the water taxi. Some of the musuems are a little farther away, but not too far.

Let me know if you need restaurant recommendations - I have lots of opinions!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:34 PM

http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/jan08/W02.pdf

there are frequent trains from NWK to Baltimore Penn Station (don't go to the BWI airport stop).
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:37 PM

Well, if you don't want to drive or fly your only other viable options are take a bus (worse than driving) or taking the train.

Amtrack has several trains a day that run between Newark and Baltimore. Check schedules here:

http://www.cwrr.com/Amtrak/ne_c_nmf.html
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks a lot everyone.

SavTrav: I'm not doing any sightseeing . I'm going for a company symposium so my day will be packed with sessions. BUT I'll be able to go out to dinner so I would love your restaurant suggestions. I would prefer to stay in the Inner Harbor area. Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:53 AM

My favorite restaurant in the city is The Bicycle. www.bicyclebistro.com

A little pricey, but amazing. You will be surprised how good. It's a small place, so I would recommend making reservations in advance.

It's in Federal Hill - which would be a walk around the harbor and up the hill for you. This area has some other great restaurants

Blue Agave www.blueagaverestaurant.com

It's gourmet Mexican - the fish tacos will knock your socks off!

And of course Dangerously Delicious Pies - not for dinner, but a great substitute! www.dangerouspies.com/

Changing Neighboorhood - if you go North up Charles Street just a bit you will get to the Mt. Vernon Area.

Here I can really recommend:

Helmand www.helmand.com. Get anything with Lamb and the pumpkin with garlic sauce appetizer. Surprisingly affordable.

Sotto Sopra - http://www.sottosoprainc.com Really great Italian food.

Brass Elephant - www.brasselephant.com

We don't tend to eat right in the Inner Harbor - because there's lots of touristy restaurants that we avoid.

One that I can recommend though is Capital Grille www.thecapitalgrille.com

If you wanted to venture to the Little Italy part of the city - I would avoid Sabatinos www.sabatinos.com. I think it's kind of run down, but I'm sure that will provoke a lot of differing opinions.

Go to Aldo's only if you are willing to spend lots of money - but remember it will be great! www.aldositaly.com

In the Harbor East section - just past Little Italy - one of my favorites is Pazo http://www.pazorestaurant.com/ The restaurant is very good, but if you are younger or into the bar scene. Great place to hang out.

On a general note - make sure you try some crab cakes while you are here, most restaurants will have some version on the menu. It will be better than anywhere else!

Most of the restaurants are not exactly "budget" places. Let me know if you are looking for more casual or different types of places.
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all those suggestions. I'll take a look at them and go from there!