Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from Norfolk airport to Williamsburg Marriot?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for ideas on the best way to do this? Thanks for any help. Mary

Sorry if this post is duplicated. The first one didn't seem to go through. M
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Follow signs out of the airport to I-64W. Take I-64 across the Hampton Roads Bridge/Tunnel up to Williamsburg. Take the Busch Gardens exit and bear to the right on the ramp towards Rt. 60. At the end of the ramp take a left onto Rt. 60 at the light. You will pass Busch Gardens and the Brewery on the left. Just after the brewery take a left at the Kingsmill sign. You will see the Marriott on your right.
The trip without traffic will take 45-60 min. There is a good chance that you will hit traffic at the tunnel and again in Newport News. There is an alternate route out of Norfolk going east on 64 and over the Monitor-Merrimac bridge/tunnel but unless there is an accident at the Hampton-Roads it is not worth it because of the extra distance from the airport.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Birdie...I should have made my message a little clearer. We won't have a car because we're meeting p\friends at the Marriot that will have one already. We're looking for public transportation like a shuttle, or train, whatever is available. Thank you for rsponding. Mary
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:36 AM

If you do a search for "Norfolk airport transportation" you'll get a ton of results, most limo services which I think in your case might be your best bet: cheaper than a taxi and since we are assuming your friends with the car aren't planning to meet you, probably the best way.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 04:45 AM

I would check in to a one-way car rental, picking up at Norfolk, and turning in at Williamsburg Int'l Airport in Newport News. Probably cheaper than any limo or taxi fare. Drop your spouse off at the Marriott, and your friend can follow you from the Marriott to turn the car in.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 06:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I would also call the Marriott. There are shuttle services between Williamsburg and the airport.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Norfolk Airport Express runs a shuttle from ORF to Wmburg. The cost is $60-$70. You can book on line. The Marriott website says estimated cab fare from the airport to the hotel is $29. That sounds low to me. I'd verify with the hotel.

Budman's suggestion works too but rather than having multiple cars traipsing up and down the pennisula (15 miles/30+ minute trip one way) I'd ask your friends to meet you at the Newport News Airport.

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

ok..I'm so embarrassed about cluttering up the board with the same request before I figured out there was no Virginia forum, only a U.S. forum. Thank you one and all for your help and your patience! Mary
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Don't be embarrassed. This can be a fun forum full of great information with helpful people.