Best way to drive to Myrtle Beach from DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Samantha

Hi all,

I'm headed down to Myrtle Beach this weekend and wondering what's the best route - ie. quickest, and least traffic - to get there from DC.
I'll be leaving early Friday morning to avoid DC rush hour, if that helps at all.
Thanks!
Sam

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Lori

Samantha, I should know this well although my husband was the driver. We spent a week in MB last month, and we drove from Philadelphia. We went straight down 1-95 South to "South of the Border,"You will see many signs telling you are almost there. (By the way it is a dirty filthy dumpy place.)then you take the 504 BYPASS into MB.It is pretty straightforward. If you are going to North Myrtle Beach I believe you take 22 which is a new road. Be sure and take the "bypass" or you will end up in the business district. Have fun and a safe drive.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Sue

Don't you mean 501? Or has the name been changed? IT's been a while since I have been but it used to be 501.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 03:08 AM
lori

Oh yes Sue, I think you are right it is 501-correction! Thanks for catching that. (My mistake.)

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Gretchen

Look for the exit for Route 327 off of I95. It should be marked coming from the north--it is from the south. Take 327 about 8 miles until it dead ends into Route 376. Turn right. This road eventually turns into Route 501 if you just continue straight on it (goes from 376 to 76 to 501). If you are going to North MB take the new Conway bypass--Route 22. It is well marked. If going to MB or south, stay on 501.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Beachbum

Hi Samantha,
Plan extra time in your travel...two weeks ago, there was lots of construction going on, it really slowed us down.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:50 AM
chuck

Samantha,

you've received some good advice. If you do take 327 off of I-95, there is another shortcut to consider. Take a left at the first (and only) traffic light on 327. Follow that road until it ends, at 376. It will generally save you a few minutes--caveat, it is a 2-lane road, so don't take this if you are not willing to pass.

Another possibility if you are staying in North Myrtle is to take Highway 9 from I-95 all the way in to 17. The first half of this stretch of 9 is 2-lane, and you will question your decision. But the second 1/2 of the drive is 4-lanes, divided highway, with a posted speed limit of 60 MPH.

Lastly, the construction that Beachbum mentioned is on Highway 501, and specifically from its intersection with 17 By-pass to about 5-10 miles west. It can really back up traffic inbound and outbound on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Take 22 (Conway Bypass) even if you are headed to Myrtle Beach.

Have a great time!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:56 AM
x

Easy - 95 south - bypass Richmond to Rocky Mt. NC - then 95 south to 40 over to Wilmington - then 17 south to MB. About 8 hours.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:14 AM
CF

Chuck, how bad is the first part of 9 that's two lane? Do you think we'd have a problem w/a class A RV?

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:16 AM
CF

One more thing, Samantha asked for a route with little traffic and the last time I went via 95 it was nothing but traffic. We have since changed our route. It's a little longer(timewise) but not as nerve wracking. (Unfortunately it wouldn't help her cause we come from a different direction!)

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 08:43 AM
chuck

CF,

I don't think the first 1/2 of Highway 9 will be a problem for your RV. Probably lots better than I-95 as far as being less traffic. You'll pass through a few very small towns, e.g., Nichols, just obey the speed limit through the towns.

On the subject of less traffic, x above posted a very intriguing route possibility for those coming to MB from the northeast, that is taking I-40 to Wilmington & then 17 south to MB. Aside from the fact that traveling the entire length of 17 from NMB to MB is going to be pretty busy, the stretches of 40 and 17 until you get to Little River ought to be much better than I-95.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Samantha

Thanks everybody!

I'll have to plan this all out with a map tomorrow - I appreciate all the suggestions!

Sam

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:50 PM
nina

Sam, We're heading down this Sunday! We're stopping in Williamsburg Sunday night and will get to MB on Monday. By any chance are you staying at Kingston Plantation? If you are, let me know and we'll meet by the pool.

nina

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:15 PM
samantha

Nina,

No, we're staying at another hotel on the beach, but leaving to come back home Monday. (Short vacation, I know, but it's all I could manage!)

Have fun anyway!
Sam

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Lois

The Route 17 directions are great -- it cuts about 1 hr. off the trip from DC to Myrtle Beach -- here's my take on it:

Take I-95 South until you see a sign that says 295 South /Williamsburg/Virginia Beach - the sign is about 1/2 mile before the LEFT exit onto it.
The next sign you will see for this exit may say "Rocky Mount" - This is what you want - EXIT 84A

Stay on I-295 until it rejoins I-95 around Petersburg.
Take this to EXIT 81 B - this puts you onto I-40 through Wilmington, NC

Stay on I-40 to EXIT 408 which is Route 210 West to Rocky Point - go one block on this and then you go LEFT onto 117 SOUTH - this takes you around the edge of Wilmington and puts you onto 17 SOUTH into Myrtle Beach (eventually) -- from where you get on 17 South it's about 1 hr. 10 min. to North Myrtle Beach.

Have a great trip

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 06:42 AM
nina

Lois, Is it really shorter? If so I'll try it too. We've always taken 95 right down to 501.

I may be mistaken but doesn't your route take you through secondary roads with traffic lights and the city of Wilmington?

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 12:37 PM
chuck

nina,

while waiting for lois' response, I can at least comment that the route she describes is 95% Interstate (I-40) or at least a 4 lane, divided highway (most of Highway 17). The only exceptions are the interchange at Wilmington and a few traffic lights through Little River (which is just North of NMB).

Once you hit 17 in NMB, you know the drill heading south to MB.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 01:04 PM
nina

Thanks Chuck, but is it shorter (time-wise)?

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Lois

Yes, it's about 1 hr. shorter timewise. We found that route one year when there was a major accident on 95 and we were forced to find an alternative way. We've used that ever since. We usually to the North Myrtle Beach area & that's the way you enter on Highway 17.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Lois

I should add -- the other route used to take us about 8 hrs., and our alternative route only takes 7 hrs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -