Reload this Page >

Best Waikiki hotel with kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 11:55 AM
mj

We are planning a 3 or 4 night stay in Waikiki with our 4 and 8 year old children before heading up to the northshore for a couple of lazy beach weeks. Any suggestions for kid friendly hotels? Favorite sightseeing spots in the Waikiki area? We are seasoned Hawaii travellers but have never done Oahu. Many thanks.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Rudy

troll alert

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 07:09 PM
mj

Rudy, you are so astute. My children do indeed look like trolls so as you can imagine, we really need to find a great hotel in Waikiki, preferably a low key one close to the beach where the little creatures can ferret around in the sand after we drag them to a few touristy spots. Thanks for your concern. Now perhaps some real people with genuine travel advice can offer hotel suggestions.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 09:31 PM
Paul

Try the Hilton Hawaiian village. Its on the beach and has ponds with live penguins swimming around...
pg

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:30 AM
patg

Look at the New Otani Kaimana Hotel- on a quiet stretch of beach, near Kapiolani park, Diamond Head, zoo and aquarium. They have suites with kitchen facilities and a great casual restaurant.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 10:11 AM
imnotatroll

Beware of the thongs!

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Patty

The Hilton does look family friendly but I feel that Waikiki has too many city elements to it. I lived on Oahu for a couple of years. Perhaps you will avoid this but you have a lot of on the edge types that flock to Waikiki, there is some drinking on the beaches. The guys that take photos with the parrots have always put me off. I stay there on return trips because it is central & I do not drive but I frequently hear dissappointment from visitors. Ilikai is right next store to the Hilton not on beach but ocean view in many rooms and just a short walk to beach. Again I think you are wasting airfare by staying on Waikiki. Why not got the Hilton turtle bay on the North Shore. I like Lanikai beach on the windward side best. Have you looked at the Kahala Manderin.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Rick

I'd look into the Hilton Hawaiian Village also if your set on spending that much time in Waikiki..its very kids friendly

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 01:13 PM
JustMe

I just want to put in my 2 cents.

Waikiki is just like LA. Lots of prositutes and drugs. Are you sure you don't want to take them to a different isalnd?

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Richard Sullivan

The Hilton Hawaiian Village, with its live penguins, meandering streams filled with koi, wheel-chair- [and thus stroller-] accesssible facilities, large super pool, huge kid-safe salt water lagoon, and wide, wide palm shaded beach is the perfect kid hotel...but great for adults too.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Nick

Depending on your money situation you might consider the Ilikai just next door to the HHV and then take a stroll over to the Hilton. The rooms at the Ilikai have kitchens, most rooms have ocean view and half the cost of the Hilton. This is what I have done, although I really don't look to use a pool when the ocean is right there. The Ilikai has two pools. HHV does have large beautiful pool, I would take my kids there and stay ilikai if I was on a budget. I am on a budget this summer and visiting with sisters kids....SHHH WE WILL BE THE FAMILY OF BLONDS!!!