Best US place to snow mobile?

May 20th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Best US place to snow mobile?

Husband and I are looking for a fun place to snow mobile in US or Canada. Where would that be and also, the best time of year to go.
May 20th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Through Yellowstone National Park - probably November through March. The East Gate near Cody, Wyoming would be one starting point. I'm sure there are companies that offer this. And Cody is a charming town with a really great museum.
May 20th, 2006, 09:35 AM

any more ideas. i'd like to do this too.
May 20th, 2006, 10:10 AM
J62

In the Western Adirondacks region of NY , near Old Forge NY, snow mobiling is huge. I mean huge. Miles and miles and miles of well travelled, well mapped back woods trails connecting towns, lakes, remote cabins, bars, etc. That area is near the Tug Hill plateau, which gets a lot of snow every year.

Regarding best time of year, is that a trick question?

While winter can hit as early as late Nov in those parts, winter snow/ground cover isn't usually guaranteed till January.

May 20th, 2006, 10:21 AM

I was going to say Yellowstone too. We went in trhough West Yellowstone, where lots of tours can be found. There are only three ways to get into the park in winter; snocoach, snowmobile and personal steam (walk, xcntry ski, snowshoe). You'll see more animals than you ever thought possible.

We've also snowmobiled at Lake Tahoe out of Zepher Cove and in Colorado out of Breckenridge. Both had great scenery and were lots of fun.
May 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM

In the midwest, north-central Minnesota and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan are both good. In MN, Anything between the triangle of Brainerd, Bemidji, and Grand Rapids is excellent. Great trail network. Plus, northern Minn is the heart of snowmobile country. 100% of the American snowmobiles are manufactured up there.. it is a way of life. In MI, I think you start from Ironwood and go from there.

As for timing, I'd recommend Feb and Mar. Leave January alone - that is more likely when you'll have those bitter cold spells.
May 20th, 2006, 10:52 PM

Every winter we go up to Grand Marais, MN and snowmobile on the trails off the Gunflint Trail. We love it!!
May 21st, 2006, 10:36 AM

You are no longer allowed to drive just yourself in Yellowstone. You must take a guide with you. For a list of approved guides go to www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/services/wintbusn.htm
Oct 9th, 2006, 02:22 PM

It also depends on what kind of riding you like to do. We love mountains so Mt. St.Helens is our local playground. I haven't been to West Yellowstone but my son has and they have both trails and hillclimbs and lots of snow. Idaho has lots of riding as well.
Oct 9th, 2006, 02:24 PM

I agree with honestAbe as well on the U.P. I grew up in the U.P of Michigan in Hancock and still "go home" to ride the trails occasionly. Lots of snow when other places east of the Mississippi don't get it.
Oct 9th, 2006, 02:26 PM

I use this site a lot for conditions and questions. http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/index.cfm?forumid=1

Search this Thread