Reload this Page >

Best type of car on Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:41 PM
betty

I'm lead to believe after reading BI Revealed that renting an SUV/4WD is the route to go. Then I call a travel agent and they say the agency will have so many stipulations it won't be worth it. Anyone have any input on this subject? Reading the book makes me want to explore some of the unpaved road areas but is it worth the rental trouble?

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 10:05 PM
island girl

On any of our trips to Hawaii we ALWAYS rent a Jeep Wrangler from Alamo. Great rates, usually around $250 for a week, and it will get you ANYWHERE you want to go... especially off the beaten track. On the BI we have the most fond memories of the off roading we did in our jeep, the lava roads were amazing.
MUST have 4WD!!
Go exploring.
Have fun...

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 05:49 AM
betty

Island girl:
Thanks for the reply. Might be booking through Pleasant Holidays and they quoted me $500 for a week with a Cherokee. I thought that was excessive. So I should call them back and ask for a Jeep Wrangler? Are they the ones that can be pretty much open all the way around? Will be traveling with two boys and husband so we need room. What about the car rental agency saying no driving on unpaved roads? Also, did you pay extra for the insurance or did you bring your own? Need to contact my agent to see if I'm covered in Hawaii. Thanks for the info!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 01:37 PM
betty

Island girl:
Thanks for the reply. Might be booking through Pleasant Holidays and they quoted me $500 for a week with a Cherokee. I thought that was excessive. So I should call them back and ask for a Jeep Wrangler? Are they the ones that can be pretty much open all the way around? Will be traveling with two boys and husband so we need room. What about the car rental agency saying no driving on unpaved roads? Also, did you pay extra for the insurance or did you bring your own? Need to contact my agent to see if I'm covered in Hawaii. Thanks for the info!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 05:33 PM
inchy

We ALWAYS rent a jeep wrangler too. The only problem is that if you want to go into any "offroad" territory, the rental agency says that's a no no. We pretty much do what ever, but there are tours that take you up the mountain so you don't have to take the risk.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 06:45 PM
bubba

Jeeps are totally unnecessary (IMHO).Since the rental agencies pretty much will void your insurance if drive anywhere you could use one, I rent a Grand Prix ($225-$250 wk) and treat it like a jeep.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:19 PM
inchy

We always go with the Jeep Wrangler because of the open air feel. You can see so much more with no top or windows on your vehicle. We also rented a convertible Sebring there once. It was a little low in comparison - in the higher Jeep you can see a lot more.
The only thing is that it is hot if you are there in the summer. If you lug a lot of stuff around with you, the Jeep's cargo room is almost non-existent. So keep that in mind.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:37 PM
bubba

Not so sure I agree with Inchy but a convertable is not a bad idea. The only down side to the convertable is the fact that this is the rainy season and the Hilo/Valcano side of the island can be extremely wet. Trust me when I say extemely wet (I used to live in Hilo)!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 04:17 AM
betty

Bubba, I will be traveling with 2 boys (12 & 10) and hubby. How was the grand prix on the unpaved road? Do you have your own insurance when renting or buy the agency's? I think the Wrangler would be too small. Thanks for the input!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:49 AM
bubba

Any of the mid size cars will suit your purposes just fine (all islands). While I'm trying to encourage or promote you to do so, I've driven a lot of the so-called outlawed or uninsured roads on most of the islands. If it matters, I've even driven quite a few using a small or compact size car. About the only time I might consider a Jeep on the BI would be if you're planning on going to South Point (which you'd still have to walk partially regardless of your vehicle). If a person feels better or more secure in a Jeep/4 wheel than so-be it. However, unless you're planning to do some serious off roading, any rental car w/ front wheel drive will suit you just fine.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:52 AM
bubba

Sorry, I meant to say I'm not trying to encourage/promote you to drive on the so-called uninsurable roads.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 08:34 AM
tom

I have to add my two cents here. After driving a jeep in both Maui, BI and Kauai I can tell you that if you don't want to have to worry about the roads get a jeep. I went on may trails were a car simply could not have made it or would have been damaged if someone tried. Of course I violated the terms of the rental contract, but my own insurance would have covered it. (I wonder if AAA would come get you if you break down, I never have asked them.)

While a car will do fine for 80-90% of the roads in hawaii i would encourge anyone to get a jeep, simply to explore some areas where a car simply cannot go. I am somewhat surprised that bubba, who purports to have lived in Hilo, would claim a car "can be treated like a jeep" on BI. While I have never lived there I went on many roads where a a grand prix would simply not have been able to go without doing damage to the car or creating unecissary anxiety for the driver.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Maria

We have rented a 4WD vehicle for our trip in February, but come to think of it, I do not know exactly what that means in terms of the vehicle we will get! Does anybody have any thoughts on driving a 4WD vehicle down the Waipio valley road? I have read that you need 4WD but is that adequate or should we not even attempt it?

Any other thoughts on the Waipio Valley if we have our own vehicle and don't have to be with a tour? Where can we go once we get down there?

Maria

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 10:19 AM
freewoman

Betty - - -

Just returned from the BI last Tuesday. Had a wonderful time and wish I were still there!! I rented a Chevrolet Blazer National Rental Car. Less than $400 for a week and it was 4-wheel drive. You will need 4-wheel drive to get to some out of the way places and they did not put any stipulation except that I was not to go on the Saddle Road. The only place to rent a vehicle that will let you go on that road is a local place I talked to and they want $600 for a week. I would recommend against the soft-top Jeep Wrangler tho. Too much noise and at the higher elevations, it was quite cool. Was glad I had fully enclosed vehicle.

Whatever you rent, you are sure to have a wonderful time!!