Best Trip Ever Taken with Kids

Old May 23rd, 1997, 08:21 PM
Carolyn

Best Trip Ever Taken with Kids

We live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin area and are looking for suggestions on where to go with two boys one 10 the other 5. I would like to find a trip that we could drive to in about 2-3 days. Yet, I would like to appeal to our adult tastes as well. I want this to be the most memorable as we don't travel often. I like the historical places, and they like action-adventure type things. Thanks.

Old May 25th, 1997, 05:25 PM
Barb

With those two criteria, sounds like you're talking about Williamsburg, Virginia. Colonial Williamsburg takes care of your historical cravings, and Busch Gardens takes care of the action. Virginia Beach is not too far to get your feet wet. There's a resort condo rentals near Williamsburg called Powhatan Plantation that is supposed to be really great.

Old Jun 13th, 1997, 01:50 AM
Pat Tuzzolo

Try Gatlinburg, Tennessee. We stayed in a chalet at the edge of the national park. it is spectacular. Also visited Dollywood (Dolly Parton's amusement park)--one of the nicest we've ever been to. It was a very friendly, low-key vacation. Gatlinburg has lots of the type of souvenir shopping that the kids loved and we travelled into the surrounding area for great local crafts. Our kids loved it! They were ages 2, 5, 9, and 12.

Old Jun 13th, 1997, 08:22 PM
SteveG

Doesn't fit your drive to criteria, but our two boys loved our fly in trip to Disneyland (perfect ages). We then drove to SanDiego and took in Sea World and the incomprable SD Zoo. The beaches there are the finest in the country. The Zoo's Wildlife Park in Endicino is also unique in the Country.

Old Jun 22nd, 1997, 02:20 PM
David Blossom

One more idea: The Boston Area.
For you - HISTORY everywhere.
For the kids - some of the best entertainment we've ever encountered. Children's Museum. Computer Museum. MIT Museum (Small but one of our kids favorites), Harvard square (Shops, history, sidewalk entertainers, etc), Museum of Science (Impressive - everything from dinosaurs to spaceships), New England Aquarium (Another favorite), Public Gardens (Center of Boston - Great for a picnic/ ride on the swan boats), North shore area (Beautiful beaches - grab some lobster afterwords), Boston Red Sox home game, USS Constitution (They'll love exploring this one - It sails again this summer!). Our kids are 5 & 7 - enjoy all of the above.
GOOD LUCK!

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 07:52 AM
Rich

I agree with the Colonial Willamsburg idea. We took our daughter there last year, it was great for all. We also got a pass that let us into 5 different attractions, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown Center, and Jamestown Settlement. All the historic places were cool since they used people dressed in colonial garb to answer questions and relate information. The pass covered admittance, and parking, really worth it.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 09:54 AM
Wendy

Rich:
I'd like more information about the pass you mentioned in the above post. Can you tell me where I can get info. and purchase this Williamsburg pass?
Thanks! Sounds great!

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 12:11 PM
Dawn

I second the Boston area, loads to do. And Summers are beautiful, drive out to Cape Cod, take a whale-watching tour. Or drive the coast up towards Maine. It's wonderful.

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 05:19 AM
denise

If you haven't been to Walt Disney World in Orlando....That's the place to go...Fun for everyone. I'm sure you'll find some historical sites to see along the way.

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 08:29 PM
Ruth

Just remember that if you go to Williamsburg....not to go in summer. Too hot and humid.

If you go in spring, fall it is a perfect place for history and adventure.

Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens.

If you go in summer...do Boston. History, whale watch, museums. etc.

Do not do Disneyworld or Disneyland in summer. HOT, HOT, HOT!!!

I vote Williamsburg in early spring or fall. You can't go wrong there. Maybe extend it to Washington DC also. Williamsburg is only about three hours away.

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 04:07 AM
Donna F

One of our favorite trips was to Bowling Green KY where we visited Mammoth Cave and then, as a surprise for our son, a visit to the only Corvette assembly plant in the US. They are set up for tours but you should get advance info. We did this quite a few years ago. If you like the idea of caves, there is also a nice one in VA at the beginning of the Skyline Drive in Luray. Not too far from Monticello so you could combine both. If you go to the Dollyworld area you could also include a visit to Cherokee which I thought was very interesting. You might make history a little more interesting for your sons if you can find the short history books in your school library about the historic places you visit. We had our son read several before we went on the trip and he recognized things he had read about. I think this also gave him a new view of history books which to me, can be awfully dull. Have a great time.