Search

Is Savannah Safe?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 06:07 PM
Jim

Is Savannah Safe?

Is it safe to walk around Savannah during the day or night ? Where is a very nice place to stay and things to see ?

Thanks you.

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 05:55 AM
Chuck

As i'm from and work in New York City to me every town seems safe...but really Savannah is a great town to walk around especially with all the squares in the downtown area, the city market and especially river Street. as the name says, the street hugs the river and is filled with many bars, restaurants and shops but is also great just for walking. we usually stay at the Hyatt which is right on river street. Just a fine hotel I'd say average by Hyatt's standards. if you stay ask for a river view-there is even a light in your room that will flash when a HUGE ship passes by.

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 05:55 AM
Chuck

As i'm from and work in New York City to me every town seems safe...but really Savannah is a great town to walk around especially with all the squares in the downtown area, the city market and especially river Street. as the name says, the street hugs the river and is filled with many bars, restaurants and shops but is also great just for walking. we usually stay at the Hyatt which is right on river street. Just a fine hotel I'd say average by Hyatt's standards. if you stay ask for a river view-there is even a light in your room that will flash when a HUGE ship passes by.

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 04:36 AM
Betty Ann

We have been to Savannah many times and have found it to be a safe city to walk around in anytime. Of course, I am speaking only of the historic district, which is where you will probably be.

I recommend staying at one of the charming, small inns or B & B's rather than at a "regular" hotel. It will add to your Savannah experience. I can highly recommend both The Foley House Inn on Chippewa Square (I don't have phone # handy) and The Kehoe House on Columbia Square (800-820-1020). You can walk everywhere you want to go from either place. At the Foley House, our favorite room is on the second floor overlooking the square. It is beautifully furnished, with a gas fireplace, lovely sitting area, huge bathroom and a small balcony also overlooking the square. I think the rate is about $250 on weekends, less during the week, and it's worth it.

Definitely take one of the many city tours offered. They start at the visitors center. Wherever you stay will have lots of city info. And WALK, WALK, WALK! So much of the beauty and history of Savannah can be enjoyed for the price of tired feet at the end of the day.

Restaurants: The Olde Pink House, both the pub in the basement and the dining room up stairs. Elizabeth's on 37th - expensive and worth it. If you like southern home cooking try Mrs Wilke's Boarding House (lunch, maybe breakfast too but no dinner) or Nita's (lunch only, I think).

Try to read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before you go. It will put you in a Savannah mood. Enjoy!!