Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best strategy for longer-term car rental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Cassandra

I may need to rent a car for as much as a month in the Silicon Valley area. Any hints, suggestions for the best way to negotiate this?

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually the easiest and by far the cheapest way, assuming that you are not on a transcontinental odyssey during that time, is to just do two consecutive 2-week car rentals, making a trip back to the rental agency at the halfway point.

At less-busy stations, if you keep the keys when you go to the counter, they will just process the rental so that you get the same vehicle right back again.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 06:44 AM

I've started researching this for a seven week rental next July/September. My problem is I need a pick up at SFO and a drop off at LAX. I have found that Enterprise has good month rentals while most others only do a week price and four weeks is four weeks, not a special month price. But Enterprise won't do those with separate pick-up and drop off locations. Sounds like it might be a good option for you, however.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 10:36 AM

I'm confused by your comment Ryn. Are you saying that two, two week rentals would be cheaper than one, four week rental?
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 11:45 AM

I have been spending the last few months researching the same thing. I will need a 5 1/2 week rental this Jan/Feb. I posted a message concerning this and got many suggestions. I looked into as many options i could and found that month long rentals at any agency were no cheaper than 4 week rentals (when you get a special). Check out my posting thread - 'Long term car rentals and who rents dodge caravans'. The last message was posted on Dec 23.

At this point I am going for a $199 per week rental (I must rent a minivan). I can't find any other better offer, even with all my club discounts, credit card offers, etc.

Good luck and tell us if you find anything good.