Best steak house in Nashville/

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is Flemings, Morton's, Ruth Chris and more. Atmosphere does not matter.What would you say is the best steak in the city? I would prefer not spending a fortune, but I am curious without money being a factor, which is the tops.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Anybody know about where to get a great steak in Nashville without spending $30.00-$36.00?
It doesn't matter what the atmosphere is - just looking to satisfy someone's craving for a good piece of meat.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:49 PM

Outback
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

hunterblu- thanks for your response. I am familiar with Outback but I was hoping for a non national chain type place if anyone knew of a local place.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:44 AM

It's not a steak house but I've had great filets at Sunset Grill.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Jimmy Kelly's. Old Line Nashville restaurant. It's in an old house and they serve corn cakes with the steak (or something like corn cakes) it's been a really long time since i've been there, so i can't comment on price.

you may also want to ask your question on chowhound.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:11 AM

My neighbors recently went to Jimmy Kelly's and were really disappointed both by the food and service. Even the corn cakes weren't so good.

I've also had a good filet at Midtown Cafe. I love that place.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Sperrys.com
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Hey Tracys2cents, good call. I always forget about that place. They have a great steak stuffed with blue cheese and wonderful Green Goddess salad dressing. Prince William went there when he visited Nashville.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

I guess I am cheap. I looked up Sperry's and it is the same price as Flemings = $26.95-$32.00. The steak at Midtown Cafe is the same also. I guess my college freshman won't get the steak he would like this weekend when we visit for parent's weekend.

If anyone knows any other place not in that price range that is good I would love to hear about it.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:33 PM

Where are you going to get a steak, besides Sizzler, that is less than $26? I don't think that is expensive for steak...perhaps try Outback.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:07 PM

My choice would be Longhorn on Lyle Street (near Music Row). Yes, it's part of a chain, but it's also a Nashville institution -- with lots of music biz folks and the occasional celebrity -- plus very good steaks at reasonable prices. Be sure to add the sauteed mushrooms and onions. (I get half and half.)

BUT . . . if you want the best "southern" food experience, go to Monell's on 6th Street in the Germantown area (near Farmer's Market and the Bicentenial Mall). It's not steak, but the best fried chicken you'll ever have. There's no menu -- you feast family style on endless traditional southern cooking. They always have the fried chicken, and depending on the day, they'll have at least two different entrees (possibly roast beef; pork chops; meatloaf; lasagna; fried catfish . . .), plus salads, incredible vegetables, biscuits, cornbread . . . The corn pudding is worth the trip alone.

I always take my out of town visitors there -- and it's always their favorite and most memorable meal of the trip. Luckily, I get a lot of guests! (I was there a few days ago and will be again later this week.)

For me, Monell's beats Morton's and the other pretentious places hands down -- and at a fraction of the cost.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Songdoc -
That's a great suggestion. So this Longhorn is the same as the rest of the chain? I have read some great things about Monell's. Maybe we can go there as well, if not this trip I want to go another time.

Have you been to Demo's Steak and Spaghetti? I had heard of that and wondered how their steak is.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:15 PM

Now hold on a minute!

First you say you want to know about the BEST STEAKHOUSE in Nashville, and with price no consideration.

If what you really want is a good steak, a good time and a fair price, take your son to Demos' Restaurant.

www.demosrestaurants.com
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 05:28 PM

I have not been to Demos'. But I went to Monell's twice this week -- because I had company from Ireland and Los Angeles. In both instances, my friends RAVED about Monell's. You can find a good steak anywhere -- but this is a true southern experience. Luckily, I have no more company in the near future -- or I'd be the size of a house and I wouldn't even want to think about my cholesterol. Monell's is a very special treat--but it's certainly not the kind of "healthy" eating I try to do.