best scenic route

Old May 9th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Original Poster

best scenic route

Hi guys,
We have a big discission to make regarding a trip in late may 2015. We have travelled a fair bit in the past through both the States and Canada and this time we have the option to drive from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon via Hoover Dam and then make our way north upto Yellowstone national park ending in Great Falls Montana OR catch a bus down from Winnipeg to Grand Forks, picking up the hire car there and driving across to Great Falls with a dip down to Yellowstone. Any suggestions on what would be the most benificial for scenic, fun and all that goes with a road trip.
Cheers. Peter AUS
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:50 AM

I've driven thought North Dakota, parts of South Dakota, and Eastern Montana and they are all part of the great plains. While interesting to drive it does get a little monoutinous and you will be driving approx 750 miles of it.

I personally would pick Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and as you head north you will pass gorgeous Lake Powell and you have several other choices like Zion National Park, Bryce National Park and a drive up Scenic Hwy 12 if you have the time as you worked your way north.

Utahtea
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:54 AM

weather2travel.com climate guides still cold up north

roadtripusa.com

Do the southern route in may...

For me Vegas GC visitsedona.com Santa Fe Taos

Raton pass up into Colorado up to Wyoming

to Thermopolis wind river canyon to yellowstone.com

enter at Cody leave at Jackson/Tetons then down

through Utah utahparks.com for your return to Vegas.

carrentals.com cheap rentals unlimited miles out of LAS.

Have actually doen this journey was AWESOME.
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:15 AM

Agreed that the southern route will be by far the most enjoyable that time of the year. Chances to go to Mesa Verde NP in SW corner of CO, can't miss Lake Powell & Arches NP (great for a daytripper) in Utah, drive through the incredible red rocks area of Southern Utah then take a detour up through the Wasatch Mtns of Utah - I suggest the scenic road climbing to the top of Mt Nebo for a great trip.

From there you can rush on up towards Yellowstone on the interstate or continue to take the scenic route, swinging east through Vernal & Rock Springs and take the secondary route through the Wind River Mtns into Jackson, Tetons & Yellowstone. Though it's not an interstate the travel is rather quick through the Wyoming stretch. And the scenery is much more interesting than what can be seen going through Pocatello, Idaho Falls, etc.

So many fun options! Good thing you're starting your planning early!
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Depends on how much time you have and where you've been in your other trips.

The southern route offers more options and scenery. But if you don't have alot of time or have been there before, the northern route definitely has some things to enjoy along the way.

I would agree with everyone else and go the southern route myself if I had the time to enjoy it rather than rush through.
Old May 10th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Original Poster

You guys made that an easy descission to make. many thanks for the input. Cheers. Peter Cairns AUS