best route for Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:48 PM
beatrice

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to organise a 2 week trip from San Jose. We want to see Las Vegas, Grand Canyon (from the North Rim?)Bryce and Zion.
What route would you suggest? We plan on camping mostly. We have 2 kids 4 years and 6 months and do not plan to hike.
Thanks for your help

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:20 PM
camper

be sure to check for fire closeure
on camping and roads in Az. its very
dry this year

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 02:47 AM
s

I have no idea as to the route to follow San Jose to Las Vegas. The route to follow from LV to the places mentioned in your note are limited, You might consider taking I 15 out of LV to Cedar City where you pick up rt 14. THis takes you through Cedar Breaks National Monument. Then 89 north to 12 to Bryce. Back track to 89 and then 89A to Jacob Lake where you pick up the road to the North Rim, From the North RIm you backtrack on 89A to 89 to Mt. Carmel Junction where you pick up rt 9 to Zion.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Utahtea

Hello fellow Bay Area'er.

The fastest but MOST boring way to get to Las Vegas is take I-5 to Hwy 58 to I-15. About 530 miles.

My favorite and much more scenic way is through Yosemite on Hwy 120 over Tioga Pass to Benton, then Hwy 6 to Tonopah, then south on Hwy 95 to Vegas. This is about 560 miles but a slower drive. If you go this way you might want to check out Red Rock Canyon National Conservation area. There is a campground there, but we've never stayed there.

Hint. There are very nice National Forest campgrounds just after you leave Yosemite National Park, but before you get to Lee Vining. We never have had a problem getting a camping site here even in the summer.

From Vegas, take I-15 to a little past St. George then take Hwy 9 to Hwy 59 to Alt 89 and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. After the Grand Canyon take Alt 89 to Bitter Springs, AZ and head north on Hwy 89 to Page and Lake Powell. If you have time make sure you at least take a dip in the lake. From Page stay on 89 to Kanab, past Mt. Carmel Junction and up to Hwy 12 to Bryce. You will have to double back to Mt. Carmel Jct. to pick up highway 9 to Zion National Park.

Utahtea

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:33 AM
rqf

I am certain that Utahtea meant the "North Rim", not the "South Rim". If you decide to follow his route suggest that once on rt. 9 you head straight for Zion followed by the Grand CAnyon and then Bryce. You can then take the 12, 14, I-15 route suggested by "s" through Cedar Breaks on the way back to LV. If you decide to go over TIoga pass an alternate route would be to head south on 395 at Lee Vining. At Lone PIne you take 136 to 190 through Death Valley to Beatty where you get 95 to LV.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Bob Brown

I like the campgrounds at Bryce and the North Rim because they are high and cool. Zion can be hot, very hot.
The last time I was there, the temperatures hit 100, and it was still May.
The camping area at Cedar Breaks NM is high and cool in the summer. It is an interesting place to visit, with much the same formations as Bryce.

The route over Tioga is fun. I remember driving it the year I turned 21 before the new road was built. The route was narrow and at times the road was right on the edge. (That was back in the fifties.) But the whole way, even crossing the barren flats, has its points of interest. I don't see that kind of terrain as a usual rule.
I think you will have fun on your trip.
Just takes lots of diapers that you can put in the trash can!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Utahtea

rqf,

Thank you. I did mean North Rim as they said in their orginal post.

Also Hwy 395 is a beautiful drive but it will add 100 miles to the trip over the Tonopah route.

As for the heat in Zion, yes it does get hot, but then you have the Virgin River right near the campgrounds to go and get cooled off in.

Utahtea

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 03:31 AM
rqf

Lee Vining to LOne Pine through Death VAlley to Beatty is about 238 miles. From Lee Vining to Beatty via Tonopah is about 224 miles. A common route whichever way is chosen is San Jose to Lee Vining and Beatty to LV so the difference in mileage is less than 15 miles. The Death Valley route, however, is going to take longer since the drive to and through DV from LOne Pine is a slow one. The advantage is you get to visit DV. Summer is not the best time to visit DV but it can be an interesting drive through.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:20 AM
z

If you and the children can cope with the heat and don't mind the extra hour or so it the car consider the Death Valley route.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:43 PM
Utahtea

rqf: You didn't mention Death Valley the first time. Yes this would be a good route. If you take 395 down to Kramer Junction and then go to Las Vegas then it's 100 miles out of the way.

Death Valley can be extremely HOT during the summer!

Utahtea