best restaurants on the Vineyard?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are some of the best restaurants on the Vineyard - including joints for lobster in the rough? Price is not an issue.

I will be arriving this Friday, the 3rd of Sept. and will be leaving on Monday the 6th.

Is it too late to get reservations at some of the best joints?

thanks!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:19 PM

We just got back from two weeks on the Vineyard and ate at many of the highly rated places. We loved Bittersweet in West Tisbury (in fact, we liked it so much we went back a second time); just remember, West Tisbury is dry, so BYOB. We also really enjoyed Atria in Edgartown and Balance in Oak Bluffs. We had a lovely lunch one rainy day at Cafe Moxie in Vineyard Haven (also dry)--their dinner menu looked interesting, too. For lobster and other shellfish in the rough, you can't beat Larsen's in Menemsha. It's take-out, but you can picnic on the rocks overlooking the sound just a few steps away. It is a very popular spot at sunset. Other places that we heard good things about but didn't get to are Alchemy in Edgartown and Sweet Life in Oak Bluffs. You should still be able to get reservations if you call soon.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:29 PM

I second the recommendation for Atria in Edgartown. That's my favorite restaurant on the Island. Alchemy is good, but not great. I've also heard great things about Sweet Life, but haven't been able to go.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:44 PM

L'Etoile at the The Charlotte Inn in Edgartown. If you don't mind a lengthy trip to get there, The Outermost Inn in Aquinnah (BYOB) - owned by Hugh Taylor and his wife, brother of James Taylor.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. We have reservations for Sunday night at Balance. We're planning on doing dinner at Larsen's on Saturday.

Any incredible breakfast/brunch places that are a must? I have read mixed reviews on Lola's.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 02:33 PM

Maybe you'll see this before you go. I have been going to the Vineyard for years, but I find many restaurants overpriced for what you get. That said, cost of shipping everything over by boat or plane legitimately adds 10-20% to a meal. Last month I had one of the the best meals ever at Le Grenier, an old standby in Vineyard Haven. M. Dupon is a gracious host as well. I've heard Balance is great, but have not eaten there. Outermost Inn is very good, if you get to see a sunset, and if James happens to stop by. I like Home Port in Menemsha for take out Bluefish outside or good fish (not cheap) inside. Lola's has a decent Southern Style Brunch. Vineyard A Capella, a bunch of college kids add a nice ambiance if they are still performing. I prefer Black Dog for their funky breakfasts, better than dinner, but get there early! It might be touristy but it doesn't get more Vineyardy than a poached egg/asparagus/hollandaise English Muffin looking at the water with the ferries coming in while at a Vineyard institution.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:35 PM
gyppielou

A lot of dead on suggestions, I'd also say that the fried clams at the Bite in Menemsha would make a lovely app to your lobster....best fried clams of the season for us. No one's beat them yet! Bittersweet,,,,yes!!! staff, food, atmosphere...go!