Best place to see bears without flying????

Jun 5th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Best place to see bears without flying????

Hi there,
I know that Denali National Park is an option to see bears ( we have tickets for a day trip here ) but am wondering where else we can go. I am not keen on flying in small planes.
We are staying in Anchorage, Denali and Seward for a couple of days each. Are there any local places that have a good chance of seeing wildlife?
We will be visiting at the end of June / beginning of July. We have already booked a hire car and our accommodation.
Also what will the weather be like?
Thanks
Donna ( AUS )
Jun 6th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Any ideas????????
Jun 6th, 2005, 02:14 AM

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/viewi...wing_sites.pdf

provides a list with bear-viewing sites in Alaska.
Jun 6th, 2005, 03:25 AM

You'll have to check the weather just before you leave. Last year there was a heat wave beginning the end of June and it didn't rain once during the three weeks we were there. We saw moose on several occasions in the Kenai/Soldotna area which is much flatter and marshier than Seward on the other side of the KP.
Jun 7th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

back to the top please.
Jun 7th, 2005, 03:55 AM

Donna, it is hard to predict where and when you can see them. We saw them once in Denali but not the second time. We saw them once on Kenai River near Soldotna, we never saw them when visiting Kodiak Island. I too thought I am not keen on flying in small planes until we took a day trip with Emerald Air from Homer to Katmai National Park and Preserve. If you really, really want to see bears only certain way is to fly to Katmai National Park and Preserve. You could do this from Anchorage or Homer. Emerald Air is recommended on this board very often. Read posts on bear watching.

What will the weather be like? Hmm! Like anywhere it is hard to predict. One time in July we have one week of rain with temperature in 50s, another year we had teperature in 70s, no sign of rain. Who knows. Just be prepared for any kind of the weather and enjoy your trip.