best place to kayak from seward?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I placed a post about this already but I don't think my title was correct. What is the best place to kayak that has the most scenery? We will already be taking a northwestern fjord boat tour, fishing all day, and major marine captain choice all day tour. We are thinking about the caines head kayak/hike through sunny cove kayaks or fox island all day kayak. We want to try and see some humpback whales if possible and not repeat the same scenery that we will be seeing on the boat . Our trip is june 28-july 3.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 06:41 AM

Perhaps you are asking the wrong question. Instead of insisting on concentrating every trip from Seward and wanting each trip to see different things, why not make a day trip to Whittier and do your kayaking there? There is only so much to see in Resurrection Bay.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Whittier is a pretty good option because Resurrection Bay (Seward) has some pretty big water.

You're more likely to see marine life at Sunny Cove rather than Caines Head because it's farther out.

Also, check with park officials about the trails to Caines Head and ensure they're OK . You also have to factor in tides. It's a neat place, but I'd opt for Fox Island.

While I agree that you will likely have some overlap on your trips, I disagree with "there is only so much to see in RB."

I kept a boat there for years and never got tired of it, plenty of areas to explore and new things to find.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/caineshd.htm
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. I was leaning more to kayaking all day around fox island with sunny cove kayaking company. Hopefully I can make my mind up in a couple of days and book this kayak trip.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Hi Kentuck,
Fox Island is a beautifull place to kayak, and yes Seward is the place to kayak from, There are several places that provide great kayaking guided trips, Our family decided on a smaller company due to the size of the tour groups that some other companies take out...did that done it...like a small group...it takes a lot less time to get going on your trip. The sea lions out there are pretty cool and puffins are cute and funny. enjoy your trip!
Ps. A paddle from fox island to one of the other coves would be my pick.
check out Bear Glacier if anyone is doing it now
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 01:20 PM

we used www.kayakak.com
and thought they did a good job. we just did a short 4 hour kayak around Resurection Bay. If we went back I would take a shuttle and try to kayak near a tidewater glacier. It was our first experience in a kayak and enjoyed it.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 09:40 PM

Hi Kentucky
We did a day kayaking trip from Seward (next day after our wildlife cruise) and we really did not overlap much at all. We did the Major Marine dinner cruise one day and the Bear Glacier one day kayak trip the next with Adventure Sixty. Amazing. Highly recommended.