Reload this Page >

Best Place To Exchange Money

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 05:30 AM
Gregg

Going to Canada shortly. Can anyone recommend the best place to exchange US currency to Canadian currency? Does a US local bank give a better exchange rate or am I better off exchanging in Canada or just over the border? Thanks!

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 06:08 AM
Owen O'Neill

Best place is at the border - you will get the official rate. Some Canadian banks will offer the official rate but not all of them. Have never tried doing it at US banks but I suspect it varies widely.

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 08:42 AM
caryn

Use your ATM card, if you have one. Most economical and convenient.

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 08:32 PM
Donna

Agree with above - use your ATM card. Know which "network" your card is on (Cirrus, or whatever). There are ATM's (and they all seem to be on either Plus or Cirrus, one or the other but not both) all over and you are given an opportunity immediately to select a language. Withdraw only the cash you think you'll need. Use your debit card or a credit card for everything else. If you have any currency left over, use it toward your hotel bill. I used to get about $100 from my local bank before going, but last time they didn't have any and I didn't need it. I did change a few dollars at the front desk of the hotel to tip the doorman and the bellhop (at a terrible rate), but there was an ATM visible from the front door of the hotel.

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 09:02 PM
Michael

Exchange your money in Canada. You will get the best rate there. Even if the bank charges a fee for the transaction (which they probably will). I'm going up in Sept. so I just sent money to my Aunt in Nfld. to exchange for me because she has an account up there and won't be charged a fee. At today's exchange rate she could get me 47 cents on the dollar compared to 32 at my own bank here. I used an ATM card the last time I was up there and got a great rate, but that was 3 years ago and I'm sure every bank is different, so check it out before you go.