Reload this Page >

Romantic Fall Weekend - HELP!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 12:38 PM
Tara

My boyfriend and I are looking for someplace to spend a weekend in September or October. We live in Manhattan. We don't want to drive more than 2 or 3 hours if possible, and we don't want to spend a small fortune. Any ideas??????

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 12:55 PM
Owen

Check response #7 of the 9 responses to the previous posting in this forum (7/27/98 date) entitled "Suggestions for driving out of Manhattan for a week???". Might be of help.

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 02:55 PM
Kam

I would stay at the old Griswold Inn in Connecticut--it's very romantic, very old, and the staff is delightful. Close to enough attractions such as Old Lyme and Mystic. It's in Essex on the CT. River at Long Is. Sound. Should be 2-3 hours depending on traffic getting out of Manhattan. I stayed there while on a college tour with my teenage son---certainly not romantic, but I missed his dad that night!

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 10:05 AM
Jill

Have you looked into Litchfield County, CT? You may not be able to get a room there at this point, since many things book WAY in advance, but try the Litchfield Inn. The town of Litchfield is very cute, with a lot of little shops, and if you're lucky, maybe a parade or apple festival.

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 02:54 PM
Caryn

You may want to try the book AWAY FOR THE WEEKEND: 200 MILES FROM NYC. It's in any bookstore.

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 08:36 PM
Margaret

Well, if you don't want to travel and don't want to spend money, why not just wander through Central Park? Or, the scenery will be beautiful in every direction - so you could book any Motel 6 as far away as you care to drive.

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 09:36 PM
tina

For little $$ you could fly to St. Louis,Mo and take the train ti Hermann, mo and see the most beautiful spot in the US - like Germany - tons of amazing falll foliage and nice people , beautiful musuc, good food etc-- only twohours from St.lOUIS IF YOU WOULD WNT TO SEE A BIG CITY.