Best Place for Nature

Aug 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Best Place for Nature

Hello. I'm in Waikiki right now and the concierge recommended the following places. Which is best? We basically want to see a lot of greenery and exotic plants and a waterfall. We have a car, so distance is not an issue. Thanks!

Senator Fong's Plantation
Manoa Falls
Waimea Valley
Moanalua Gardens
Foster Botanical Gardens
Others?
Aug 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM

anyone? i'm interested in the answer as well.
Aug 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Ok, I'm not a "nature" person and most of these places I've been to a looong time ago on school field trips.

But if you're looking to see a waterfall, I think that narrows the list down to Manoa Falls and Waimea.

Since you have a car, I would recommend combining Waimea Falls Park with a trip around the rest of the North Shore. Stop at one of the snorkeling beaches (if that interests you), shop a bit in Haleiwa, eat at one of the shrimp trucks.

Aug 12th, 2008, 09:48 AM

I've been to a couple of these. Manoa Falls is not a managed garden area, but a hike to a waterfall. When I went there many years ago, it had been raining a lot and the trail was very muddy and slick, and the falls was gushing like a fire hose. Some info http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/hiking...lls_trail.html

I went to Waimea Valley about 10 years ago, and I can tell you it is a beautiful area but the ownership/management has changed several times since then. Here is a short article summarizing http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/.../waimea_valley
It's evidently now being managed by the state, with regard for the traditional ahupua`a land use.
Aug 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM

We did Manoa Falls a couple ( or is it three?) years ago & thoroughly enjoyed it! It felt like a 'managed' adventure! Some beautiful jungle scenery!

It was muddy in patches, but we were prepared for it.

Take water, maybe a snack, a hiking stick, wear hiking boots & maybe take a cloth for perspiration (it's very humid under that brush), & you'll be fine!
Sep 1st, 2008, 09:22 PM

Drive to the North Shore and visit Waimea Valley. On that drive from Waikiki, you'll get lots of scenic views and beautiful beaches.
Sep 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM

Foster botanical gardens is great for exotic plants.