best place for a holiday if travelling from Florida and London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother is 75 and lives in London my sister is 40 and lives in Palm Beach,FL. I'd like to arrange a trip for them to meet somewhere in the US for a week or so, does anyone have any ideas of suitable locations please? Something reasonably quiet would suit best, probably not with too much walking?

thanks
Mark
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:50 AM

When?
Where your mother would fly to? Are you thinking about a location not far away from a place of her arrival in the US?
Are you planning activities for them or just trying to find a place to meet? Are you looking for a city, beach, mountains?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking about early Spring next year. I've really no views about location, but I guess somewhere with a warmish climate with plenty to do but not too busy. As you can see I have very few pre-conceived ideas!

Mark
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 06:17 AM

Check to see where your mother could go with a non-stop flight. Of course, any of the larger cities like New York, but perhaps something smaller like Savannah, Ga would be better. You could rent a nice apartment on one of the squares. Pick a time when the azaleas are in full bloom. She wouldn't have to do much walking in order to enjoy the setting. If they wanted to do more, they could take a riding tour.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:55 AM

My mother is 84. When I first started arranging trips for my mom my priority was always to get her from one place to the next with little effort or lag. That means nonstop flights, if possible, or connecting flights with very short layovers. The older one gets the less glamorous travel becomes, it seems. So I would think that you should check into where your mom can go non-stop and then make sure that your sister can be there to meet her at the airport.

Of course, if your mom is in great shape and a real-go-getter then this is not something you would need to consider. My mom is now using a walker and so all travel is out. She's just not able to handle stairs of smaller commuter planes and she lives in a small city.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! That's a good tip. I'll start by looking at schedules and flight times and see what falls within a certain radius.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Mark, does it have to be the US? If yes, I'd try Charleston, South Carolina or Savannah, Georgia. Outside the US, both sort of central to both would be Bermuda and (keeping in mind TG's point from above post) I believe BA flies there non-stop from London.