Best pizza places in NY?

Jul 13th, 1999, 01:16 PM
Lynn

Best pizza places in NY?

I'll be visiting in September and interested in "low brow" things to do in New York. One of my interests will be to taste test a few Pizza restaurants/stands. Any recommendations of were to go?

Jul 13th, 1999, 01:24 PM
Brian in Atlanta

I consider myself a slice aficionado, but the best pizza I've had in NYC has been the whole pies at Lombardi's in Little Italy. Skip the toppings and stick to the original mozzarella (maybe add some fresh basil). Wonderful crust/sauce/cheese combination cooked in a coal oven.

I'm sure the native New Yorkers on this forum have more suggestions (and I'd love to hear them - esp. for slices).

Jul 13th, 1999, 02:42 PM
Owen O'Neill

First of all... be aware that there are many, many places called "Ray's". Some are "Famous Ray's", some are "Ray's Famous" and others yet more variations on the name. A few (including the one in Little Italy) are very good and the others only average.
there is a pizza stand at Bleecker and 8th called Joe's. It's famous, has been there forever and has good pie but not the best I've had... I'm still searching for the Holy Grail of pizza (which may well be at bruno's on Congress Ave. in Saratoga Springs NY but the jury is still out!)

Jul 13th, 1999, 02:45 PM
Edward

Also, consider John's Pizzeria on 44th street. An extremely good eatery and I believe their ovens are coal fired as well (for true NY pizza you must have a coal fired oven). They've also got a branch in Greenwich village (not sure the precise location) if that proves to be more convenient.

Jul 13th, 1999, 03:34 PM
Rick McKellar

Believe it or not, the best pizza in midtown Manhattan is in Penn Station, at a place called "Rosa's" on the LIRR concourse level. Get a slice of the vegetarian pie and watch the commuters go by for a "low brow" treat.

Jul 15th, 1999, 02:52 PM
Chris

I agree with the above post about Lombardis. It's on Spring Street and has been around since the turn of the century. I personally prefer the clam pizza. If you walk to the back of the restaurant, where the oven is, you can watch them actually shucking (sp?) fresh clams. Yumm!

Jul 15th, 1999, 04:25 PM
lisa

Another vote for John's. It's fab.